atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MHarmon Extended ASU/ASUII - 01/29/09 08:41 AM
Has anybody been able to extend an ASU beyond the 100 feet? Preferablt over fiber?
[email protected]
Posted By: Dane Re: Extended ASU/ASUII - 01/29/09 10:20 AM
I don't think the ASU or ASU II can be connected using a FIM. I haven't personally got one working that far away but I would think you should be able to get 300 feet on CAT 5
Posted By: panda Re: Extended ASU/ASUII - 01/29/09 10:51 AM
The Cim module the ASU connects to is only rated at a max of 30 meters or 100 feet. All the signaling goes over that connection, I would be leary about going over the 100 feet and you will get no Mitel support if you exceed it.
Posted By: Justin M Re: Extended ASU/ASUII - 01/29/09 03:58 PM
Why not put a cabinet with ONS cards connected with a FIM.
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: Extended ASU/ASUII - 01/30/09 05:59 AM
Per.Nodes sound like a good remedy, assuming it's an MX Controller?!?!?!
Posted By: Dane Re: Extended ASU/ASUII - 01/30/09 12:33 PM
So much is dependent on the configuration of the system. If say you have multiple ASUs and only one needs to be away then adding a FIM carrier to the server may not be an option or if the system has already been proposed and sold then it may not be an option either. If it is the only ASU then I can see you not wanting the added expense of adding a FIM carrier and a Periph cabinet for just a few extensions. If you have the parts on hand just try it and see if it works in your office.
Posted By: Dane Re: Extended ASU/ASUII - 01/30/09 12:36 PM
adding to what I was saying above I would expect you could get 300 feet, but as Panda says Mitel won't give you support on it if there are problems. That being said I have made a lot of things work over the years that were outside Mitel's recommended (or certified) specs. You just have to understand you are flying alone.
Posted By: Hi-C Re: Extended ASU/ASUII - 02/04/09 02:35 PM
MHarmon:

How many ONS ports do you need at the remote end?

If it's only one or two perhaps you could use some third party (i.e. Multi-Tech) VoIP gateways to extend the ONS ports over the fiber/IP connection.

Not sure if you would maintain all of the features though and depending on the number of ports required it could get expensive.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help