atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: REW ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/07/09 09:34 AM
Has anyone replaced a hard drive in an ICP MX controler with just an off the shelf hard drive instead of the Mitel replacement? If so how do you format the drive or does the ICP do it when you insert the flash card?
Posted By: Dane Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/07/09 11:51 AM
I haven't but I would be surprised if there are not some hidden files that the system is looking for before it will boot the drive - but then - I could be wrong.
Posted By: REW Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/07/09 01:40 PM
That is the same thing I was thinking. I have an ICP in my office and have been wanting to try doing a replacement with a plain hard drive but I didnt know how to format the drive and something always comes up and I dont get to try it. If I can ever get around to doing it I will post the results.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Posted By: johnp Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/07/09 02:33 PM
I believe you will find that the flash will fully prepare the drive.
Posted By: unemployedmitelguy Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/08/09 07:24 AM
The only thing you have to worry about when purchasing a oem hard drive is that it meets Mitel Specs. One of those specs are that it be a 256 or 512 meg hard drive, 1 gig and 2 gig hard drives have never been approved for the sx200icp as they have never been tested with 1 gig and 2 gig hard drive. Maybe someday they will soon as the supply of 256 and 512 hard drives are getting harder to find. Hopefully Mitel someday will understand this and approve those hard drives, 1 gig and 2 gig hard drives will work but will not be supported by Mitel. When you run the Initial installation software on the sx200icp it will format the hard drive for you.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/08/09 07:43 AM
Hmmm, I see an income source. Buy 10 or 50 512 meg hard drives and preformat for 200ICP, then 'Hit E-bay'. smile John C.
Posted By: johnp Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/08/09 10:02 AM
In regards to the compact flash drives, Mitel uses an industrial version as opposed to the consumer rated ones. 512 is needed to support the new 5330-5340 sets. As for any drive replacement, I would look to use an identical version as to the ones being currenly installed and shipped by the manufacturer.
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 02/09/09 05:33 AM
Forget the hard drive all together! Go to your local computer supply house, and purchase an 8 gig SANDISK compact flash ($45.00?). Unless you're using the 'record a call' feature, it's more capacity than you'll ever need.
Posted By: phone boy Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/08/09 09:57 AM
I managed to copy a drive useing Kubuntu dd and it worked very well but I had a Mitel drive to copy from....did someone say ebay????
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/08/09 10:51 AM
no, but I say SANDISK almost once a week!!!
Posted By: Dane Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/08/09 10:55 AM
so the eight gig compact flash will run the voice mail as well?
Posted By: phone boy Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/08/09 11:33 AM
how do you configure the sandisk to plug into an ide drive bay on a Mitel 3300? I like that idea it is easier to port around since I have 9 systems to upgrade this year..
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/08/09 02:31 PM
Unless your system uses the 'record a Call' feature, the flash memories work like a champ (at least on the 200icp's)!!!
Posted By: -Ez-Logistics- Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/09/09 12:02 PM
I have not personally used a off shelf hard drive, but in your sx-200 edocs search "partition" and it will show you how your drive should be partitioned. i do believe the flash card will do this for you anyhow. We have a bare controller here (minus harddrive) that i was going to try it on...ill let you guys know how it turns out.
Posted By: SayWhat Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/09/09 04:16 PM
This topic seems to be going back and forth between systems. I will answer on the Mitel 3300 but not sure which was the original question on. A 3300 controller uses a standard IDE Fujitsu 80gig drive we purchase them online for about $75. Your best best is to ghost it from a working drive but if you do not have that ability you will need to load the software from scratch which hopefully you have a copy as 9.1 is about 1gig in size.
Posted By: johnp Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/09/09 09:31 PM
9.1, is this shipping? I saw 9.0.2.18 online as the current release for the 3300
Posted By: johnp Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/09/09 09:47 PM
Regardless of the system, a Boot_Install or compact flash install should setup the drive to function for the respective system.

I believe for the 200, the software sets up the drive to a static value for the operating system partition(s) and the remainder for voicemail. On the 3300 it is different so that the dual boot from partition feature is setup, this allows the online-offline upgrade thing to work.

I have seen 3300 systems using Maxtor, Hitachi and Fujitsu drives shipped from the factory.
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/10/09 06:15 AM
As far as the SX200 goes, Mitel provides the dealers with the proper tools (via the external flash drive) to install, upgrade, reformat, or do whatever it is you need to do with the storage device. It's pretty standard stuff.
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/10/09 06:17 AM
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/10/09 06:18 AM
Posted By: johnp Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/10/09 06:31 AM
Yeah for sure. I think I missed the last things you said...problem is either the system or the carrier.
Posted By: SayWhat Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/13/09 12:26 PM
Sorry about the 9.1 comment I was multi-tasking. 9.1 was renamed version X
Posted By: MitelGuy Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/21/09 03:24 PM
Originally posted by johnp:
9.1, is this shipping? I saw 9.0.2.18 online as the current release for the 3300
I just checked and you are correct. There is no later version available on the internal FTP either.
Posted By: MitelGuy Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/21/09 03:25 PM
Originally posted by SayWhat:
Sorry about the 9.1 comment I was multi-tasking. 9.1 was renamed version X
Series X is slated for a June release.
Posted By: Webman Re: ICP Hard drive replacement - 04/28/09 08:28 AM
You can use any hard drive in a 3300. As long as it is at least 40Gig, set to master and a standard IDE (not SATA) drive.

To set it up you need the install software on a ftp server

Get into the boot config on the 3300 and change the following:
boot device : motfcc
file name : Boot_Install
host inet(h) : Address of Ftp Server which holds the MN3300 software (i.e. 10.44.16.126)
other(o) : FixPartition

This will wipe the hard drive, partition it and install the software from your ftp server.

This will work with version 6.1 UR1 and newer.

On a 200ICP, put in the hard drive (same drive requirments) and boot off a install flash. It will do everything for you.

We have been using western digital hard drives as the maxtor ones are all dieing.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help