atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: rpatel sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/10/11 01:02 PM
Hello,

We have a sx-20 installed in 1996 with 40 extensions; and an attached call attendant.

Within the last two years, several extensions started dropping off-line (no dial tones)...now about 20 extensions do not work...we were told it could possible be the Misc Card?

My expertise is null with telephone equipment, I opened the case today and noticed the cards and recognized the MISC card. Is it as easy as switching cards inside of a computer or is there more to it? Could the Misc card be the cause of the problem or is it more complicated?

Thanks--raju
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/10/11 02:25 PM
OK, number one, your SX20 is long past it's prime. No new parts have been made for it since 1990! So yours was used when it was installed! All that is to suggest that it's time to replace it with a 50/EL/ICP. If you REALLY want to keep it going, be aware that SX20s have a bad habit of dying when turned off and then turned back on! Also, your memory support battery is probably long dead. Good, reliable replacement cards are few and far between. Do not go to E-bay, go to a reliable refurber like our sponsor here, or one of the other Mitel posters here that are in the business. Fifty5Footer is the one I remember, because it's a 'catchy' name.

Now as to the probable bad part, more likely one or more of the station cards is/are the culprit.

NOTE THAT YOU CANNOT REMOVE ANY CARD FROM THE SX20 WHILE IT IS TURNED ON AND RUNNING!!!! DOING SO WILL PROBABLY AT LEAST DAMAGE THE CARD(S) YOU REMOVE!!

P.S. I deleted your double post.
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/11/11 07:59 AM
LH, thank you for the mention, but we do not touch the SX20's anymore! Why, you may ask??
For all of the reasons you just mentioned!! We only sell things that we can stand behind with our 2 year warranty, and SX20 parts have been ceremoniously crossed off of our list!
Posted By: phoneguyne Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/11/11 08:11 AM
I will look to see if we have any Sx-20 cards
Posted By: rpatel Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/11/11 10:21 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. LH, do you know how much a (ballpark, guess) good used system may cost installed?

Thanks again.
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/11/11 10:31 AM
PM sent!!
Posted By: SamRogers Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/12/11 05:10 AM
Hello,

I wanted to start a new thread, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the 'New Topic" button; maube it's because I'm new here.

Anyway,

I have a motel in Nova Scotia and it has a Mitel SX-20 system. The tech says that if we get another power outage, which happens with some regularity here by the sea, she'll be toast.

Judging by what I've read here, the SX-20 isn't worth salvaging. I'm no Mr.Patel, I'm not going to hang onto this old piece of crap much longer, so I'm wondering, what would be a good older system to upgrade to, which won't bankrupt us? Is the SX-50 still serviceable?

Thanks,

Sam Rogers
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/12/11 07:11 AM
The SX50 is still a good, widely supported system. The main drawback to the SX50 is it's lack of ability to interface with a PMS system. Other than that, voice mail systems are still available, though not from Mitel. (Mitel never did deploy a VM system for the SX50.) Call costing equipment is available. All parts are still available for the SX50, although consoles and RMATS modules are getting scarce. You MUST have a console for full room status flexibility. The RMATS (Remote Maintenance And Testing System) function never was very popular, and is not really a concern. I would say the SX50 has another 10 years of 'afterlife'. The ML/EL is a good system, however it is End Of Life, and the basic program Flash card is a concern. If I had to pick a used system, I think it would be either the SX50 or the ICP. The old SX200D series that runs on floppy discs is NOT a good choice, as it is no longer supported by Mitel AT ALL.

FYI, to start a new thread/topic, click on "Post New Topic" at the top of the page.
Posted By: SamRogers Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/12/11 10:12 AM
Thanks Lightninghorse, I appreciate your opinion.

I'm thinking about buying a working SX-20 system for a few hundred bucks, but now I'm not so sure.

Do you mind if I ask questions here if I run into problems, or is this a tech-only forum? I don't want to step on any toes.

Thanks,

Sam
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 04/12/11 11:17 AM
You can ask any question you want. The basic premise is we can tell you WHAT to do, but not HOW to do it. The manual for the SX50 is scattered around the Internet, so if you have been working on your SX20 you can 'probably' graduate to an SX50. Most commands in programming work in the same area on both systems.
Posted By: rpatel Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 05/08/11 05:33 PM
Mr. Rogers, thanks for using "Mr. Patel"...but I like to know all of my options before making thousands-of-dollar decisions.

LH--after doing some research and with your suggestions, we have decided to purchase a new system to replace our sx-20.

What do you think about the PhoneSuite 64 from CMP? From what I have read, it seems to be a good reliable system for a small motel like ours, but wanted your professional opinion, aside from any resellers opinions.

Thank you very much LH for your knowledgable suggestions and advice, it is very much appreciated.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 05/09/11 07:38 AM
I have heard much good and little bad about PhoneSuite products. I must admit that I am partial to Mitel. I have never worked on/with the PhoneSuite product. I believe there are several techs on the forum that work on both Mitel and PS. Possibly one of them will chime in. Or post in the 'other systems' forum. OR do a search. I believe that there are several threads involving PS.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 05/09/11 10:27 AM
Spring the extra $1000 and get the 112e PhoneSuite. It may seem like overkill, but if you ever want to flag, you'll have the PMS interface included.

A properly installed phone system has no "bad" things. I have an 8 year old 200ML that has had 3 problems, a 4 year old PhoneSuite that has had none, a pair of 6 year old Panasonic TDA-200's that one has worked and one lost a power supply and a digital line card, and a "senior citizen" SX-200 analog box that has had some troubles in the years it's been in, but it still works, although each time I work on an SX-200 I swear it's the last one. They're getting very long in the tooth with Generic 217, but I digress.

The warranties on new equipment is pretty strong and clearly better than buying an obsolete SX-50 that may or may not have much support. With our secondary market changing so rapidly, you never know when someone may close their doors! Sticking with a PhoneSuite, or Panasonic, or Mitel is probably good sense. We all know that hospitality phone systems don't exactly make the owner any money.

Besides, the TX PS dealers and I are good friends. Robert will give you a good deal.

Carl
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: sx20 troubleshoot--misc card? - 05/09/11 10:53 AM
From what I have seen of Phone-Suite, they look a lot like the SX-50, but they are still in production, obviously.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help