atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Darkmatter661 Extending an ASU via fiber - 05/16/11 11:33 AM
I'm interested in finding out if anyone's had experience extending a CIM connected ASU with a fiber converter/tranceiver and if it would work.

The reason for this is my client has a parking lot separating buildings and established fiber runs. We could use an existing pair of fiber runs to do this.

Thanks!
Posted By: johnp Re: Extending an ASU via fiber - 05/16/11 03:34 PM
I don't know of any way to do that. How many stations do you need?
Posted By: telephoneguy Re: Extending an ASU via fiber - 05/16/11 05:39 PM
Use FIMs instead of CIMs, and you're home free. No practical distance limit on a FIM.

But most people go to Underground CAT3 to distribute extensions, and have all the PBX eqt. at one central location.
Posted By: johnp Re: Extending an ASU via fiber - 05/16/11 05:41 PM
Asu's only connect via cim
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: Extending an ASU via fiber - 05/17/11 06:55 AM
If it's an MX Controller, you could add FIMs, with peripheral nodes (200L, or 200RM) at the far end. If it's not an MX, an upgrade would not be that expensive!
Posted By: johnp Re: Extending an ASU via fiber - 05/17/11 02:42 PM
Without knowing the system, or how many ons stations the other building needs, it just becomes a guessing game as to a solution. IMHO

Yes, a fiber connected elx cabinet would work on the 200 or 3300. Some type of fxo to fxs T1 w/T1 fiber converters might work too.
Posted By: AKroger Re: Extending an ASU via fiber - 05/24/11 05:39 AM
From what I was told you cannot extend a CIM via Fiber ethernet converters, I tried it the CIM connection does not use the same " protocols" as ethernet. From what I am told it is closer to an ATM type of transmition.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help