atcomsystems.ca/forum
I have Mitel SX 200-D with 1005 Generic software which is turning on but nothing is happening with the system, Major Alarm, Minor Alarm all stay on steady, two 8's show up on the Main Control Card. Before the floppy drives use to start buzzing and the system use to boot up in few minutes, but last week when we tried to install a UPC Battery Back up we shut down the phone system and after installing the UPC Battery Back up tried to turn the phone system on but it did not turn on fully. We disconnected the UPC battery back up and tried turning on the system with out it and again the system did not start up fully. So I called the local phone guy/Mitel-tech and after him trying the same thing that we did he thinks the main control card is shot and he could replace it for $1200, but cant be sure if that is the problem, he said it could also be the Floppy Drive or the 3.5inch disks them self may be bad.
He suggested that may be I should think about upgrading the system with SX-200 ICP and I can use most of my current cards such as the LS/GS(Trunk Cards) & ONS(line Cards) and the new system would be around $10-$15K. I was under the impression the most expensive part of the system were these card, So I am not sure why so much for just new software and new cabinate? I have been looking on-line and see few Refurb. SX-200 EL systems for around $3-$5k using my current cards, So which system should I be looking for? I have a 135 room economy motel and have 13 back of house extensions. I do not need Voicemail or IP-phones. I just need basic local & long distance calling, Wake up Call, Toll control and PMS option would be nice but not really need it. So any suggestions or comments on which way to go or should I just try and fix the problem and keep on using the SX 200-D?
Wow. This is a tough call. Did you want to take Mitel Systems 303 class or just run your motel? So you get the parts "online". Now what?
Are you going to call the same Mitel dealer you just screwed to have him install it?

I'd take the less than $2K solution, replace the cards and maybe the FDD and software or try the least invasive reuse of the cards into an ML/EL box with the dealer. The new $10-15K is consistent with a new cabinet, a PhoneSuite would be even just a tad more than that for 160 extensions.

WIth hte secondary Mitel market in disarray right now, you're pretty much out of reliable choices and there's only one supplier I'd really trust and he's on this board. Let your dealer work it out and make a reasonable profit to get you back up and running. Last time I checked, you don't give away rooms for free.

Carl
I wouldn't say he just screwed his dealer...that dealer seems to be guessing and didn't fix the problem or what the problem even is. I'd get a second opinion.
Without parts in hand, it's almost impossible to troubleshoot a "D" that won't boot. Probably not the MCC, but..... I'd have a spare set of GOOD drives and a set of floppies to test with. In all probability, if one or both of the drives are bad, the existing floppies are trashed. If it's determined that floppies OR drive(s) are bad replace BOTH drives AND the software. That should take care of common control until the MCC or one of it's daughter boards goes south.
Carl;
What about the refurbed Mitel market is in disarray? We're right here, supporting the entire Mitel line, just like we've been for 30 years!!!!
As far as the topic of this thread goes, I'd say every configuration is different! Requiring one or two additional ports could mean the difference between re-using being cheaper or more expensive, with a new Mitel system. The best option would be to have a qualified supplier get you a quote for both configurations, and see which one makes more sense!
Fred,

You're the only other Mitel supplier I trust, hence the "there's only one supplier I'd really trust and he's on this board" quote.

I don't think it's fair to cut the heart out of the dealer who has been servicing the account and I'm really not prepared to drive to Rockford and turn right. If the customer gets the parts on the internet and has no dealer, what has he saved? I"m guessing there aren't a whole lot of 200-D techs in Madison.

Carl
I completely agree Carl! I could buy a new file server for my office VERY inexpensively on Ebay, but I'd have no clue what to do with it once the mailman dropped it off. I'll pay extra to my IT guy to deliver one, install it, and help me when I call!!! The old saying that "no one complains about paying for good service" certainly applies to me!!!
I believe the 88 display is a booting problem.
An E8 would indicate that the decryption module got unseated.
I would check that, and as LH says, have some floppy drives and software on hand.
Just in passing, what was the last FD based software 14? I hope I'd never have to know the diff between 1005 and LW 19, but ya never know. IIRC one of them wasn't fond of business applications in Supersets, or maybe it was some other nonsense. We had a pair of 200-D's back to back in a factory where they built offices and a warehouse away from the main site because they needed more space but didn't want to move the machines (clunk, love the noise of the stamping plant). Eventually the telco made them an offer they coudln't refuse for a digital Nortel centrex off the DMS.

Carl
Carl,
1005 and LW 15 were essentially the same software.
The last version of the 1005 was F62.

Does that answer your question?
Party247-
Depending on how many ONS,DNIC and LS/GS cards you have can and will save you money. The 200 D had a few types of configurations.For the most part with ICP controller and cabinets are not that expensive you do pay for the new cards needed and software. Also any quality company will need to recable some of these 200D cabinets and since your system is on its butt there may be a fair amount of labor to correctly identify the trunks and room ext's to make sure your property is reprogrammed correctly.

Looking at the 200D 200 Light Manual MCC error codes do not reference an 8 8- It does mention that any other codes than the ones show in the manual and I quote " a normal running system may show other codes ( card diagnostics or errors ). however, during start up,only the codes in this table are possible. Any other code shown during start-up indicates a faulty Main Control Card."

The only other codes I see that reference an 8 is E8 unseated DRAM Modeule, Faulty DRAm Module-replace Main control card.
Okay, in defense of the dealer -- The ICP can cost around 12-15K out of the box -- that's actually a good deal with licensing &c. for probably 144 ports or so. He's essentially getting a new system from scratch.

Remember that Mitel is pushing towards using ASUs / NSUs, so putting a per. node to support the existing cards jacks up the price a bit.

So the dealer isn't smoking something wild. Also, keep in mind that 1005/F62/LW15 was out of date back in 1998 or 1999 -- when exactly did LW 17 come out on the ML/EL? -- and you can safely say that these folks got their money's worth out of the old SX200D.

It's a credit to Mitel that these systems keep plugging away for so long. With that said, powering down an SX200D unnecessarily is risky business. The upgrade should have been in the Capital Expenditure 5-year plan about 10 years ago.
Thank you everyone,
But I had our trusted old tech who was out of town last Friday when the phone system went down, who came back today and swapped out the main card and got the system working in 15 minutes and at the price of less than $500 and yes he buys his parts from resalesystems, he told me his supplier buys parts from "FRED". When I told my old tech, what the new guy said he said he was just trying to make a quick $$$.....

Carl Navarro: I did not screw the tech instead he was trying to screw me, mitel tech was trying to take advantage of the situation and you wonder why hotel owners probably do not call you back either to work on their system, you think $1200 for a main control card which he does not even have is a fair price...... yes we do rent rooms but we rent rooms at affordable prices, I do not screw my hotel guests because the town is sold out and double the prices, as this tech tried to do.....

Telephoneguy... I think you need to wake up, because the hotel industry in whole has taken a big hit in revenues in last few years. When you think about Phone systems they use to be money makers before 2001 now a days they do not even pay for the monthly cost of phone lines let alone the expensive equipment. When did any one in this form in the last year of travel use a hotel phone to call long distance and which hotel do you know of that charges fees for local calls. Its a free service that hotels now provide and absorb the cost. So all I would ask from my vendors is be honest, I would not recommend that Mitel-tech to anyone, instead I would recommend my old Tech who may not be Mitel approved dealer, but sure knows a lot more than the Mitel tech that came to my hotel, who was asking my Maintenance person which order to shut down the system.
Thanks for the "rest of the story". I stand corrected, there ARE at least 2 200-D techs in Madison :-)

Fred is a square-up guy. If I miss-guess he's willing to restock a part for a small fee, and he really knows his stuff, so the part he sends out is probably the part I need. I'll save the story about him meeting me at 10PM to pick up parts for a later day.

As a professional courtesy, we "TRY" not to bash our fellow installers. While $1200 for a MCC is pricey, you can always say "no" as you did. You just neglected to tell us that it wasn't your regular dealer. I sold my last Superset Console repair for $50 above my cost to my regular customer plus the price of the service call. He then gave me a $2000 wireless internet contract. We both won.

Carl
P.S. The only time we consider "suggesting" upgrades is when things like lightning damage occurs to an SX-200 cabinet, you lose a rear door power supply, or you have an SX-20 :-)

Basically, anything that requires a pallet and trucking and starts at $1000 to ship is ready for an upgrade.

However, you may have to wait awile for nasty things like SX-50 consoles and power supplies.
Party247,
Just to be clear, please let everyone know you are not referring to me. (Posting name: Mitel Tech).
We are New Jersey Mitel Dealers and not part of this situation other than responding to a post.
Party247 -- I know all about what hotels have gone through in the last few years, thank you. Folks who work with Mitel, which is primarily known as a hospitality switch, know hotels.

I understand that Call-Accounting used to be a steady and reliable source of revenue, and with cell phones and Skype, is now virtually not worthwhile to have at all.

But you, as a hotel professional, must understand that nothing lasts forever. You have (hopefully) a five-year or ten-year plan for replacement of most large equipment, such as boilers, water-heaters, laundry equipment, and possibly even PMS servers. Your telephone gear should be in that plan.

Capital Expenditure Planning is not a luxury; it's good management practice.
Wow.
I am sorry I was not talking about Mitel Tech the member in this form, I was talking about the Mitel tech that services our area.
Thank you party247!
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help