atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Gord Customer wants stand-alone conferencing gateway - 02/09/13 04:42 AM
I have a customer who wants a stand-alone teleconferencing system with local access numbers, customized prompts and branding and is completely separate from their PBX.

Basically "the company" is actually more than a dozen independent companies over eight states and two provinces each doing their own thing IT and telephone wise. But the "head office" assumes certain responsibilities and is trying to get a handle on teleconferencing costs and wishes to do so by hosting their own system after some poor experiences with "value" providers. I have supported their Norstar/CallPilot install for a decade and they came to me with this.

It seems obvious this is something that should be built on a software PBX platform with SIP trunks. But which one? Snom? 3CX? Asterisk? Is there an off-the-shelf appliance solution? (that doesn't cost $40,000).

I have Asterisk and 3CX setup at home with a bunch of Linksys and Yealink phones but I have never actively marketed VOIP anything.

Insights are appreciated,

Gord
I would look into an Asterisk distro, Elastix being my favorite. Put in a server, add some SIP Trunking, DIDs and IP Conference Phones.
sipXecs is another option that has a built in conference server. I've deployed just the conference server of sipXecs to supplement a Cisco Call Manger Express customer that needed more robust conferencing services. It is all GUI via a web browser.

You could pair this with a SIP service such as 1-voip that will give you unlimited incoming minutes with unlimited concurrent calls for a very reasonable rate. You could probably purchase additional virtual numbers to meet the requirement for local numbers in various areas.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Customer wants stand-alone conferencing gateway - 05/22/13 03:22 AM
Actually, you need to determine the number of simultaneous conference groups and anticipated calls for each group at any given time, before a solution can be offered.
I'm reselling hosted VOIP and with the carrier I use you could dial into that company, be transferred into Ext. 7000 and create a conference, dozens could call in.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help