atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dframbs nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 11:35 AM
Does anyone know if the system wont boot up unless its connected via the modem cables to the actual unit. I have the computer here and Im wondering if that is why it doesnt boot to the hdd, does it have to be connected to the main system.
Posted By: skip555 Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 11:49 AM
it should boot on its own , no need for it to be connected to the main cabinet
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 11:49 AM
Never heard of that. Should boot like a computer unless you took the original HD out then it wont.
Posted By: skip555 Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 11:51 AM
he posted yesterday that hes trying to clone the drive , the info got too detailed for the open forum and the post was moved
Posted By: dframbs Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 11:56 AM
Yeah that info from yesterday didn't work I found out today . So still doesn't work, the original hdd is fine I cant figure out why it wont boot , I'm now creating a floppy to boot from and set the path c: where all the files are. I can get it to load the autoexec and config.sys and even load the setup program with a blue screen ,maybe that's all i need? Any other ideas are welcome
Posted By: skip555 Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 12:06 PM
I would look for a refurbished unit , its not like a PC where you can easily change out components , they designed these not to be cloned
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 12:18 PM
They have their own version of ROM DOS. They code the eprom on the motherboard to the drive. Now that being said I have cloned one of these before but I actually own a drive duplicator...not software, HARDWARE that does a true bit copy. But, like Skip said you should either get a refurb unit OR call CTL to get a new voicemail or HD.
Posted By: skip555 Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 12:31 PM
I had a customer who went out and bought his own voice boards to upgrade a NVM , he got it for half of what my price was for the nitsuko board .

I installed it for him and those ports answered and said "goodbye " even though the part numbers on the boards where identical it turns out nitsuko put a signature on the ones they sold and without that signature ...."goodbye "
Posted By: dframbs Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 01:17 PM
I changed out no parts the original HDD is in it. I tried to clone it but it said booting up "No Operating system in bootable partition." An error you cant find anywhere, which is amazing with the internet and all. I'm beginning to think the original drive got corrupt somehow.

Anyways here's what I did I made a DOS 6.22 floppy copied the autoexec.bat and config.sys to it. Booted from that in the system , it points towards the C: drive, everything booted up and is currently working!!
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 03:39 PM
I believe they used to ship on the underside of that thing a recovery disk if I am not mistaken. If that's the case you are missing the boot sector on c:.
Posted By: skip555 Re: nvm-2002 - 05/10/11 03:59 PM
I seem to recall those discs too
Posted By: NVM Repairs Re: nvm-2002 - 05/12/11 08:16 PM
The recovery disks on the bottom, write the cmos settings back to the mother board, turns off com2 .. for modem optimum mother board settings etc, His hard drive lost its boot sector, the drive could go any time, As for port expansion cards, only buy ones from ebay if they have a eight digit barcode S0Jxxxxx. or S90xxxxx, or part number 17501A those were CTL, NEc boards, and wont say goodbye, No one has the capability of turning a Non Nec board in to a working one, That has been lost with Rhetorex / brooktrout discontinuing the product.
Posted By: xinterconnect Re: nvm-2002 - 05/19/11 10:58 AM
dframbs,
Sounds like your Master Boot Record is corrupt. If you're familiar with DOS there is a command to restore it, FDISK /MBR You need to be really careful, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are comfortable with DOS and know how to use it.I have cloned the NVM hard drives in the past with Ghost. What is really important to make a HDD copy work is that you have to duplicate the volume serial number to the new HD as well as using the same HD setup parameters, cyl, heads, etc. You'll need to use a program like Norton Disk Editor to change your new HD's serial number to the old one that is in your voicemail now. I keep a NVM2000 image handy on a CD and use it when necessary to restore to a new HD. Drop me a PM if you need anything.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help