atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Evangelist Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 11:48 AM
Greetings, I am an Systems Engineer turned Evangelist asked to take over computers and phones. Reading docs on Nortel MICS 5.0 that I have for my 6.0, hope that there are similar. I can't find how to add a new phone to the system. I wired it in, toned out and tested for voltage, all there. I used a known good phone. Is there a way to tell the switch to start using ext. 241?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 01:54 PM
The system should automatically recognize the phone and assign the extension number to it, if everything is wired correctly.

Try putting the phone on a jack at the backboard and see if it works there.

The 5.0 manual should be pretty close for your basic needs, such as adding a set.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 02:36 PM
did you cycle the power after adding the new phone?
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 04:15 PM
No, I guess i should?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by test-ok:
did you cycle the power after adding the new phone?</font>
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 04:21 PM
Cycled, nada

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evangelist:
No, I guess i should?

</font>
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 04:23 PM
Sorry, what's a backboard?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nfcphoneman:
The system should automatically recognize the phone and assign the extension number to it, if everything is wired correctly.

Try putting the phone on a jack at the backboard and see if it works there.

The 5.0 manual should be pretty close for your basic needs, such as adding a set.

</font>
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 04:32 PM
Your station breakout, hook a jack up to the VioletBrown/BrownViolet pair, that eliminates the cabling. It sould just go through it's test then come right up.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited August 12, 2004).]
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 04:55 PM
Thanks, tried that. No good. Tried recycling power, NG. Tried next pair down, supposidly 242, power reset, NG.
What gives, read something about reseting extensions or template, doesn't sound nice.
The other thing is that the my 241 lines up with Blue/Purple, Purple/Blue. Cool?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dtmf:
Your station breakout, hook a jack up to the VioletBrown/BrownViolet pair, that eliminates the cabling.</font>
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 05:24 PM
I'm sorry I was thinking you where trying to fire up port 124 which is the Violet Brown pairs.

extension 241 would be your Violet Blue pairs, 242 would be your Violet Orange pairs
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 05:29 PM
No biggie, any other suggestions. Nice to do things after hours....
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 05:33 PM
Well if you are sure that you have all the wiring correct then it can only be two things, a bad port which I doubt or the port has been disabled,(Port/DN Status) I would check that out first.
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 05:34 PM
Now we are talking, how do I enable it?

Well if you are sure that you have all the wiring correct then it can only be two things, a bad port which I doubt or the port has been disabled,(Port/DN Status) I would check that out first.</font>
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 05:39 PM
One more thing you can check first before you look at the DN status, make sure that the amp connection plug is in all the way at the system, i have seen them work there way out on the bottom causing the last few ports not to connect into the system,
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 05:44 PM
Amp connection plug?
Assuming thats not the power one, maybe on of the 3 to the right?
If its not that, how do i enable?

One more thing you can check first before you look at the DN status, make sure that the amp connection plug is in all the way at the system, i have seen them work there way out on the bottom causing the last few ports not to connect into the system, </font>
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 06:00 PM
Follow the fat grey cable from the station block up to the KSU, for that matter press them one at a time and you will be sure that all are in good.
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 06:01 PM
Are you familure with programming? And i hope you know thw password if it has been changed.
Posted By: JOHNYREB Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 06:01 PM
Does the phone do anything when you first plug it in, or is it totally dead?
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 06:12 PM
Reb, doesn't the display tell you if it's disabled when you plug it in assuming it's a display set?

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited August 12, 2004).]
Posted By: dtmf Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 06:16 PM
Evangelist,
See the Chat Room button at the top of the page, go in there and we are waiting.
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 08:12 PM
Yeah. kinda, got the password.

Are you familure with programming? And i hope you know thw password if it has been changed.</font>
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 08:13 PM
For that port, any phone is totally dead!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JOHNYREB:
Does the phone do anything when you first plug it in, or is it totally dead?</font>
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 08:14 PM
Sorry guys, missed you by a half.

Evangelist,
See the Chat Room button at the top of the page, go in there and we are waiting.
</font>
Posted By: JOHNYREB Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 08:34 PM
Which 25 pair are you terminating to, and to what pair? I assume you have 3 25 pair calbes going to punchdown block correct? All the pairs on the 1st 25 pair cable should be "hot" ports except the last pair (violet/Slate) and the first 8 pairs on the second extension 25 pair should be "hot" as well. I'll shoot ya an e-mail with my cell number and would be glad to help tommorow if I can.
Posted By: DMCSALES Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 09:55 PM
did you cycle the power after adding the new phone?</font>

it sounds like he is shutting down the system.
what i think test-ok means is the the phone needs to cycle, i tell my custemers the phone needs to boot up. it sometimes takes about a minite for the phone to come up
Posted By: codasco704 Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/12/04 10:33 PM
Yeah...the LCD next the the line keys should flash the indicator arrows for about a minute then come on-line. Have you tried to make a call? If you're not trying to make a call it could be that the display defaults to a low level, making it appear that the phone is dead.
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/13/04 04:59 AM
Thanks for helping. I am familiar with the Nortel phone bootup, and this port shows no sign of functionality. Convinced it is the programming as the orignal setup never included this phone ext, 241 and up.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by codasco704:
Yeah...the LCD next the the line keys should flash the indicator arrows for about a minute then come on-line. Have you tried to make a call? If you're not trying to make a call it could be that the display defaults to a low level, making it appear that the phone is dead.</font>
Posted By: JOHNYREB Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/13/04 05:08 AM
I don't believe the problem is in programming, regardless of the ports programming, the phone should come up. You either have a bad port(s) or wiring problem. Did you get my e-mail?
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/13/04 08:21 AM
Now here is the time where the rookie tells you how he negelected to adfix the bridge clip!
Be it as may I am operational. Thanks fellas, especially JonnyReb, he suggested it.
Where can I find those 'Bridge clips'?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JOHNYREB:
I don't believe the problem is in programming, regardless of the ports programming, the phone should come up. You either have a bad port(s) or wiring problem. Did you get my e-mail? </font>
Posted By: rustynails Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/13/04 09:20 AM
greybar or just use cross-connect wire and jump the pins, or simply dont use bridge clips since it is not necessary w/ nortel. Punch directly to the port.

28 post later!
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/13/04 09:22 AM
The second post:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Try putting the phone on a jack at the backboard and see if it works there.</font>
would have shown it was in the wiring/bridge clips.
Posted By: Evangelist Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/13/04 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the input.
Ok, Ok, don't tell me you never pulled one of these before.
If Anyone has a Networking question, i am an engineer.

The second post:
Try putting the phone on a jack at the backboard and see if it works there.</font>
would have shown it was in the wiring/bridge clips.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: Need help adding new phones.... - 08/13/04 01:07 PM
DTMF, I must say you are a most patient person. No wonder you have over 3000 posts. I would have dropped off right after he asked what is a backboard. You're a very helpful guy!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help