atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: blooney NOrtel MICS PRI install - 05/11/05 08:38 AM
We currently have a Nortel MICS (v4.0) with 14 trunks and about 40 extensions. We are planning to upgrade to a PRI- (using only 12 channels) and have all the hardware ( just need to get the Keycode enabler). Could you give any advice on doing this with less than the full 24 channels. We could upgrade to newer software if needed, but see no need at this point. I Read in another post that it is tricky with an MICS using less than 24 channels. Is this possible or do we need to try somthing else? We are trying to save money and definitely don't need all 24 channels, ( may not even need 12). DO you have any advice, and do you think we'll need an installer? SO far, we've done it ourselves (we do have some exeperience with phones, but not much with nortel, until now)
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 05/11/05 05:31 PM
There are issues with pre 6.1 and PRIs. If you are happy with having to reset the system when all trunks are busied out then you could probably stay at your current level. 4.0 make a call and grab another intercom key to make another call without hitting the release key and the channel is held up until system reset. DO THE UPGRADE. I cannot stress it enough. Partial PRIs are a pain in that there is more than the usual amount of programming in phone systems to accomplish this.
Posted By: blooney Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 05/13/05 08:00 AM
O.K. we'll definitely do the upgrade, but is there an order to putting the cards in? We currently have a 2 -port fiber module in the second leftmost slot and I attempted to put a 6-port combo card into the leftmost slot and when I brought the system back up it says there was a wrong conifguration. I had to remove the card to get the system back up. In the two right most full slots there are Trunk cards, and then in the other box (connected with a fiber cable) I have two more trunk models and one blank spot on the rightmost slot. If I have to move these around won't I have to rewire where my phone lines are coming in at? Also I would like to get the T1
card in and set it up before we move to the PRI, but can I do that and keep using the trunk modules until then ?
Posted By: dans Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 05/13/05 09:15 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blooney:
O.K. we'll definitely do the upgrade, but is there an order to putting the cards in? We currently have a 2 -port fiber module in the second leftmost slot and I attempted to put a 6-port combo card into the leftmost slot and when I brought the system back up it says there was a wrong conifguration. I had to remove the card to get the system back up. In the two right most full slots there are Trunk cards, and then in the other box (connected with a fiber cable) I have two more trunk models and one blank spot on the rightmost slot. If I have to move these around won't I have to rewire where my phone lines are coming in at? Also I would like to get the T1
card in and set it up before we move to the PRI, but can I do that and keep using the trunk modules until then ?
</font>

Your combo card has to be installed in the right slot of the 2. Start at the top port down for the trunk modules on the combo card.
Start from the buttom port up for the station modules.

You will have to remove the right trunk card in the main cabinet in order to install the T1 Card. Of course this means re-programming your line configuration.

You can use your copper lines after the T1 is installed

[This message has been edited by dans (edited May 13, 2005).]
Posted By: blooney Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 05/24/05 08:54 PM
On the upgrade, will the phone system lose any data when we install the new (6.1) software?
Posted By: Jack Damage Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 05/26/05 01:46 PM
I have heard that you must upgrade in steps if you are moving up beyond the next revision in order to retain programming. If you are moving from 4.x to 6.1, I would recommend doing a system startup to re- intitalize with the new S/W to avoid any corruption and glitches. I like to start with a clean slate. I don't know if it's really necessary, though. Better safe than sorry...

Also......GET THE MICS XC 6.1 MR!!!!
The MR is a maintainance release that will save your ass 10 months down the road when the system locks up channels.

I replaced 3 6.1XC's this year with MR.

GET IT!
Posted By: Sydeshow MO Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 05/26/05 02:37 PM
Maybe you already know this but... when using a partial PRI go into Maintenance, Link Status, Mod 2, Card 1 and disable all the channels you will not be using.

I too have had problems that everyone is referring to with older versions of software.

Nice heads up on the MR software above!!!
Posted By: blooney Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 06/15/05 08:41 AM
Do we have to start over from zero or can we retain the programming info we already have? If so, how is this done? Can you just power down and install the new cartirdge, and then power back up? Also, when we pull the Trunk cartridge to install the DTI Card, what will happen to those lines? Will it drop them off or will it move the first four to the second cartridge? We will take the cartridge we remove and put it in the trunk module in an empty slot there.
Posted By: Toner Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 06/15/05 10:07 PM
To upgrade and retain programming you'll need the upgrade kit. Just plunking in the new software will wipe the slate clean. Also, your line numbering will change when you move the trunk cards around. The PRI will be lines 1 to 23 or 31 to 53 on 6.1 software. Are you sure you need both the 6 port and 2 port fiber expansions? If not you won't need XC software.

Sounds like maybe you should bring a telephone company in.

Good luck!
Posted By: scott mccabe Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 06/16/05 03:16 AM
The reason you got an error message when a 6 port fibre card in the first slot is because this is for a clocking/ Frame sinc card which you obviousley need when using dig services (BRI/PRI) the Modular ICS has a max capacity which is calculated when using a 6 pt fibre, a 2pt & 6pt can't co-exist also the DTI card would go in slot 4. to keep your existing programming/ provissioning of channels. you would need to upgrade through the s/ware levels eg: your on 4.x & want 6.x save data, switch of sys remove s/ware cart insert 5.x power back on (check setup- it should be the same) power switch off then insert 6.x, power back on & you should have retained all of you current setup (works for me)
Posted By: scott mccabe Re: NOrtel MICS PRI install - 06/16/05 03:19 AM
Sorry forgot to add when using partial PRI make sure the channels that are not provissioned are also not in your trunk group as when the sys runs updates it checks all lines within an active line gr
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help