atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jcalka DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/26/05 04:07 PM
Is there a way I can pipe my DSL line through my ATA box so that I can use the line on my meridian phones, and the DSL? I know that I can access through the ATA if I dial an access digit, but that doesn't help me.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/26/05 07:09 PM
No. The phone system will not pass DSL.
Posted By: brokeda Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/26/05 07:47 PM
If you mean have the line appear on your phone system as say line 4, you connect the DSL filter to the line at the phone company demarc, connect the "phone" output of the filter to the
lin e input of the KSU, the "DSL" output of the filter to the DSL modem.
Posted By: BCMguy.com Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/27/05 08:47 AM
When you say "ATA", are you refering to a Norstar ATA (connected to a TCM port of your system)? Or, are you talking about an ATA like the ones provided by Broadband (VoIP) Voice Carriers?

------------------
BCM Guy
www.BCMguy.com
Learn more about the Nortel Networks Business Communications Manager HERE !
Posted By: jcalka Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/27/05 09:42 AM
Nortel ATA. I remember using it for a modem, but I think it can only go back through the system by dialing a prefix - like "8". It sounds like there is no way I can use this line for voice.
Posted By: Phoneaholic Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/27/05 10:53 AM
'brokeda' had the correct answer. Just take the phone output of your DSL modem and put it into your phone system as Line 4 or whatever line you may have open. If you use the phone output of the modem, you do not need to use any filter. The modem should have a filter built into it. Hope that helps.

Dan
Posted By: jcalka Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/27/05 12:29 PM
Yes, but to activate that line, the modem needs to initialize the ATA by sending an "8". I tried putting no prefix on this pool, but that didn't work... am I missing something? The DSL modem does not actually "dial" like a regular modem.

Two questions:
1) Can I see the DSL line as a line on the phone?

2) Can I actually use the DSL trunk line as both an active DSL and as a phone line - just like as if I were using an analog phone?
Posted By: twisted pair Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/27/05 03:53 PM
You will no longer require the ATA. It has nothing to do with the phone line side of the system. It is strictly used for hooking up analog devices up to the station side of the KSU eg. dial up modem, cordless phone, fax etc.

You have a 616 so just take a phone cord and plug it into the next available line jack on the KSU and then into the filter or DSL modem like "phoneaholic" suggested.

The KSU will be blind to the data traffic (thanks to the filter) and will indicate voice calls just like your other line(s), and yes, that DSL line can work simultaneously with the voice.

You may have to go into programming on the KSU and enroll that new line so it "appears and rings" on your stations.

[This message has been edited by twisted pair (edited August 27, 2005).]
Posted By: jcalka Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/28/05 05:48 AM
I think I've almost got this.

I've tried (no work)
1) connecting line 4 - DSL Line - directly into my 616
2) connect my DSL modem to an output port or port and ATA

What you are suggesting is:
1) Connect line 4 to a splitter, the modem does not have a "phone" jack
2) one to the modem, one to the 616

Correct?

I sort of tried this by connecting the line 4 to the 616 after the modem connection in my main panel and it did not work - sounds the same, but much more straight forward. Can't wait to try it.
Posted By: jcalka Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/28/05 06:49 AM
Got it... the part I was missing was the Filter. I needed the DSL phone filter for this to work. I'm still having an issue with hunting, but I think that's a different topic.

Thanks all
Posted By: Danny_Ocean Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/28/05 06:50 AM
Are you a "telephone man" or a "civilian"?!?

Using a DSL filter, you split the DSL line at its source...where it comes in from Bell. Depending on the type of splitter, there should be a two pics...one of a phone and one of a computer. Coming out of the splitter, you will run the line from the "computer" pic to the DSL modem. You will run the line coming from the "phone" pic to line port 4 on your 616.

The ATA has NOTHING to do with this equation!

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Posted By: jcalka Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/28/05 02:33 PM
Thanks Danny - that's how I ended up doing it. Initially, I wasn't using the filter so I had problems.

[This message has been edited by jcalka (edited August 28, 2005).]
Posted By: Bellguy Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/31/05 11:20 AM
By the way, a voip line output from a sip will work fine for any of you wanting to know.
Posted By: Bob3470 Re: DSL Through ATA & 616 - 08/31/05 05:13 PM
Lets not confuse this anymore with voice over IP. I think hes got it now.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help