atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: sentrex1 opx distance - 07/18/06 06:52 PM
Yesterday i installed a mics removing an old legend all went well until they told me extension 165 was dead i asked them wher was the phone they told me it was like 5 blocks away i went to the opx site put my toner on traced it and put an ata on that extension worked great, my question is does anyone know the distance you can go with a n ata on a dry pair
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: opx distance - 07/18/06 11:56 PM
I would think it would be in the manual, but you have gone farther than whatever the manual would say.

Be happy, laugh , don't worry :toast: .
Posted By: telemarv Re: opx distance - 07/19/06 05:45 AM
An OPX circuit is technically not a dry pair.
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: opx distance - 07/19/06 12:30 PM
Youu are correct telemarv that an OPX is not a dry pair. I don't believe any LEC is doing a digital OPX, or a two pair Legend extension, if so that would be news to me.

Any OPX I have seen has been an analog pair with the LEC responsible for amplification of voice and ringing.

I made the assumption that it was an off premise single line extension and you are right, there I go assuming again which is not a good thing to do in this business. Good catch.
Posted By: sentrex1 Re: opx distance - 07/19/06 04:10 PM
Well i'm confused i thought a dry pair was a cable pair f2 connected to an other distribtion pair (f2) since there there is no battery on the line i call it a dry pair (opx)
anyway whether we call it dry opx or a duck
what is the distance you can go,its not in the manual btw
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: opx distance - 07/19/06 11:22 PM
Having reread the post, he is calling it both an OPX and a dry pair.

I don't think an analog extension on a dry pair off the Legend is going to go 5 blocks, but who knows?

What I have understood a dry pair to be is just two copper wires that is rented (usually) for a short distance on LEC phone wiring. Often to the B box, across the street and to another building or some such short distance.

What I have understood an OPX to be is an OLB13C circuit where the LEC provides DC power to take it the distance required and also provides 90 to 105 VAC 20 cycle ringing. They are boosting the circuit from the first location to the end point.

Sorry if I confused anyone trying to be clear.

The more copper you have between points on a dry pair, teh farther you can go. If I were trying to go 1000 feet with 6 pairs, I would put in at least 22 gage and run enough pairs to double up if possible.

There is so much labor involved that copper cost becomes secondary and it has to work the first time.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: opx distance - 07/20/06 05:04 AM
Originally posted by sentrex1:
they told me it was like 5 blocks away i went to the opx site put my toner on traced it and put an ata on that extension worked great, my question is does anyone know the distance you can go with a n ata on a dry pair
My guess would be, at least 5 blocks. :dance:
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: opx distance - 07/20/06 05:13 AM
Well, just to muddy the waters a bit. I had an office and then wanted to answer that line at my house also. Telco called it an OPX. It was NOT an extension off the phone system but off the line number. The distance was 7-1/2 miles. Now if it was an extension off the phone system then I would call that a dry pair - whether or not the telco bumps the signal or not. Of course that is what I would call it. Then again - who am I??
Posted By: twisted pair Re: opx distance - 07/20/06 05:25 AM
I have to agree with NT. I have a golf course that I have set up leasing a dry pair from Bell. We are sending an alarm signal to the owner's house 1/4 mile down the road. When I ordered it, I had to stress that I needed a dry unenergized pair for this or it wouldn't work for what I was doing. They sent a tech out, did some cross-connecting at 3 road pedestals and it works. The monthly bill lists it as an OPX and the order the tech had also listed it as this.
Posted By: bartel Re: opx distance - 07/20/06 06:46 AM
TP, the only way I can get Bell to understand what I need when I order one is to order a TVOSNA circuit. Then they realize that it's a dry pair. If not, they think it's an OPX like NT was talking about. I have a few of them in service. The longest one is 7 km. The MICS is on the front end with an ATA. The back end is connected to a line port of another MICS so they can call back and forth through extension numbers. Works like a charm.

Chris
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: opx distance - 07/20/06 08:21 PM
Whoa, back up here, you are telling us that you have an ATA going 7 km, about 4 miles, without any LEC amplification, on a dry pair?

24 volts DC going 7 km with no amplification?

I believe in miracles, but we are talking about 24 volts here.
Posted By: telemarv Re: opx distance - 07/21/06 05:19 AM
bartel, TVOSNA is an OPX circuit and it's not dry. They have repeaters.
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: opx distance - 07/21/06 07:12 PM
Oh thank you, I thought the end of the earth would come when physically impossible things happened, now I got a little longer to live.

You saved my life telemarv, thanks, Bunnie
Posted By: EV607797 Re: opx distance - 07/22/06 06:01 PM
It's rare, in fact it's nearly impossible to get a true dry pair around here. Even across the street still must be ordered as an OPX anymore. We usually have to just wait for the installer to show up and explain it to them to see if they will do it.

This means that it's a conditioned pair back to the CO frame and then back out to the other end via another conditioned pair. Many times this involves channels in SLC or pair gain equipment. The reason for this, according to Verizon, is "to provide their staff with the ability to test the circuit both ways from the middle for troubleshooting purposes". I think it's more of a way for them to disconnect the circuit for non-payment without a truck roll.

We used to be able to lease dry pairs locally within an F2 count, but we had to lease 25 pairs at a time. I haven't seen that done in at least ten years though.
Posted By: jwooten Re: opx distance - 07/23/06 06:00 AM
Actually it's so they can charge more. It is mileage based!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help