atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: CPU Rx, Inc. Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/14/07 10:33 AM
I am working with a Nortel Norstar Meridian system and I was wondering how I might go about extending the available time lenth allowed to leave voice messages. I believe it is currently set to about 3 minutes. I am interested in increasing it's capacity to at least 5.

Apparently the maximum has always been 10 until I went and deleted my CCR tree and had to re-configure. Are those two even related? I read in the manual that I will have to connect to the system via a network connection of serial cable to change the voice mail lenth option. Is that true? I'm up in arms here. Thank you.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/14/07 12:14 PM
Depends on which voice mail.

You can change the message length by changing the COS for mailboxes. CCR has nothing to do with it.
Posted By: CPU Rx, Inc. Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/14/07 12:35 PM
Norstar Voice Mail 3.0

Pardon my ignorance, but what does COS stand for?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/14/07 12:36 PM
Class Of Service.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/14/07 03:09 PM
You can edit NAM 3.0 COS entries with Norstar Voice Mail Manager Software provided the NAM has a NIC card or serial port installed.

Or as I said above you can change the COS for individual mailboxes. Different COS's have different message lengths.
Posted By: CPU Rx, Inc. Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/14/07 03:21 PM
I would rather just change the COS for each individual mailbox. There is no NIC card in our system and no laptop available for serial port access.

Do I access that by Dialing Feature 983? I'm a pathetic newb. my apologies
Posted By: CPU Rx, Inc. Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/17/07 08:59 PM
I'm still lost in the dark here. Can anyone shed a little light on how I might extend the allowable voicemail length for an individual mailbox?
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/18/07 05:21 AM
Check your "User Manual" or "Co-Ordinator Guide" under mailboxes. If you don't have a manual, click on the link atb the top of the page to get one.

Barring that, get a local installer to come in & show you how to maintain your system's VM. It'll be well worth the investment.

Dave
Posted By: vad60 Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/18/07 07:39 AM
COS stands for Class of Service.
If you have CallPilot Voice Mail then you have 15 of them. 983 comand will do nothing good for you because does not have option for message lenth. You have to connect with crossover network cable and do changes.
Comand 983 can give you an option to change COS.
you can try COS 7 and see what heppend.

vadim
anytel
Posted By: telemarv Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/18/07 08:15 AM
Originally posted by ev communications, inc.:
COS stands for Class of Service.
If you have CallPilot Voice Mail then you have 15 of them. 983 comand will do nothing good for you because does not have option for message lenth. You have to connect with crossover network cable and do changes.
Comand 983 can give you an option to change COS.
you can try COS 7 and see what heppend.

vadim
anytel
Welcome welcome
ev communications, if read the entire post he is asking about a NAM.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/18/07 08:41 PM
CPU, what part of the midwest are you in?
Posted By: CPU Rx, Inc. Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 08:45 AM
I am located in the suburbs of Chicago and have still found no solution for my problem.

A few weeks ago I was forced to recreate my CCR tree and since then the VOICE MAIL LENGTH available has been cut down to 3 minutes. I beieve it used to be 5 or 8.

Can I change this CLASS OF SERVICE and extend the available VOICEMAIL LENGTH through the handset? I've been told I can change the avaiable VM length per mailbox.

There is no ethernet availble to the system and we've never had to connect directly to the system via serial to change the VM length. How could the available voice mail length available have changed?

Thank you all very much for your consideration.

Nortel Norstar Meridian
Norstar Voicemail 3.0
Posted By: roldan Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 09:16 AM
You need to go into Feature 983 and change the COS for each mailbox, however, recreating your CCR would not have affected this setting. There is a table in the manual that shows the time settings of each COS, you may want to check that out to see which one will work best for you.
Posted By: CPU Rx, Inc. Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 12:01 PM
Ok, so how might I go about changing the COS for each mailbox? There is a table in the manual that shows time settings of each COS, but no instructions as to how to go about modifying it. I apologize for my ignorant requests.
Posted By: Nickels Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 01:28 PM
Not to be disrespectfull, but have you ever worked on any Nortel system before? If you are a consultant, electrician or computer guy, acting as a phone guy. Maybe take some time to go to a course on Nortel or even pay a Nortel company to show you how to log into a voicemail. If you have the manual, look into changing mailboxes and it shows right there how to change the class of service.
Posted By: CPU Rx, Inc. Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 03:14 PM
Actually, that was completely disrespectful. Why do you bother with these forums if you are just going to type garbage instead of useful information. It probably would have taken you less time to provide me with an honest answer. Another useless shmuck from Calgary. Thanks for your hot air.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 04:10 PM
cpu>>do what roldan said. f983 then when you see the log type in the required code to get into the vm admin. changing the cos of the mailboxes has nothing to do with your ccr tree.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 04:19 PM
Originally posted by CPU Rx, Inc.:
Actually, that was completely disrespectful. Why do you bother with these forums if you are just going to type garbage instead of useful information. It probably would have taken you less time to provide me with an honest answer. Another useless shmuck from Calgary. Thanks for your hot air.
Actually he did provide you an honest answer. This thread shows you have limited if any exposure to this product line. Calling him a shmuck is a violation of TOS and will probably not endear you to many legitimate installers. The purpose of the board is to assist endusers with enduser info..stuff found in the user guides. It will also assist installers who are familiar with the systems a little extra help. Not tech 101. Good luck.
Posted By: Nickels Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 05:05 PM
All my point was that everyone in this thread has made an effort to give you some help. It seems as though you are reading none of it.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 06:50 PM
To CPU RX, Inc...

Just curious as to your specialty. I see by your 1st post it was a "End-User" type question for Panasonic, then your 2nd was again this "End-User" type question with Nortel equipment.

Your profile states "consultant", user name indicates a CG.

This forum is not like the other forums and I'm damn glad about it. This forum gladly helps out "End-User" questions to "End-User" personnel who can't understand their User Guides. Some are definately hard to understand. We'll point them in the right direction so to speak.

Technical Q&A's are reserved for the genuine installers for their equipment, or the odd time that we have to work on a system that we're not too familiar with.

If you're looking for passwords or info that would normally be found in an installers manual, then I suggest buying a manual from a link above, change forums, or at the very least get out a golden screwdriver and make the necessary adjustments to the attitude.

We, the professional installers here, put up with attitude all day, but we're paid for that. Here we are not, and definately don't put up with name calling except in jest.

Dave
Posted By: vad60 Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 07:28 PM
Hey guys, don't be so rough. Every man doesn't know how it works. We don't have to be rude.
The answer is: F983, log in, press Mbox, Change, dial MB#, Next, next and change COS. If this is CallPilot change to COS #13. Message length = 10 min.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 02/28/07 07:49 PM
PM sent.
Posted By: Nickels Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 03/01/07 07:14 AM
OK so maybe I was poking the bear a little yesterday and apologise. Sometimes I should push the keyboard away and just not post.
Posted By: bartel Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 03/01/07 07:36 AM
Well said Dave :thumb:
Posted By: telemarv Re: Extend Voice Mail Length - 03/01/07 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Nickels:
OK so maybe I was poking the bear a little yesterday and apologise. Sometimes I should push the keyboard away and just not post.
Let's all try to be a little more diplomatic.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help