atcomsystems.ca/forum
In the past, I've always installed PRI software from the start (e.g. new installation, upgrade to T1). Now, I have a client that has basic T1 service wanting to upgrade to PRI. Carrier is going to "bump-up" their service to PRI on a specific date/time.

My question is: If I do not have the PRI software installed as of the cut-over, will the system still function as it has been? Does upgrading to PRI service from the carrier change anything BEFORE the software is installed? Problem is, I may not be able to install the software at the exact time of the cut-over and I do not want the client's service to be disrupted.
A T1 is 24 channels of voice.
A PRI is 23 channels of voice and 1 channel of data. That 1 data channel is VERY important. If the data does not talk back and forth the circuit will not come up. Yes, it needs to be PRI. You already have the T1 card - right? (that is how the T1 works) all you need is the PRI Enabler Key Code.
Unless you are running less than 4.1 software, then of course you will need to upgrade the software as well.
Yes, client is already running basic/standard T1 service w/T1 card. Client is upgrading to PRI.

So, you're saying when the carrier changes the circuit over to PRI, the current set-up (MICS w/T1 card) will not function until the PRI software is installed?
Yes, That is correct. They are two different type of circuits. When they bring up the PRI it will be looking for the Data Channel, If it doesn't communicate with the Data Channel, it will not work.
T1 does not have that data channel.
And you will need to re-configure that T1 card for a PRI once you enter the PRI ENABLER Key Code. There is other config areas to change as well. You will be using DID numbers - right? You will need to set up target lines, etc...
Originally posted by NTlayoff:
And you will need to re-configure that T1 card for a PRI once you enter the PRI ENABLER Key Code. There is other config areas to change as well. You will be using DID numbers - right? You will need to set up target lines, etc...
Yes, I've installed PRI's before. Never did an "upgrade" to PRI however.
Also most providers dont change a circuit they add a second span for a PRI and abandon 1st T1 span at cutover
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help