atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Nickels BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/23/07 06:46 PM
Has anyone else seen a PRI lock up a BCM 50 RLS 2. Bell PRI, they say they are seeing errors. Programming on PRI has been confirmed. I heard from a Bell tech that ther PRI errors/slips can lock up a BCM. I think the BCM is bad and we are going to install a new BCM. But I was just wondering if what the Bell tech said was true. I find it hard to believe that PRI errors could lock the whole BCM up. Only way to fix it once it locks up is to power cycle it. Seems to lock up at 3:00am, so there is not even any usage on the PRI. The system ran perfect for a week, and now nothing but major headaches and lost time. Any thoughts?
Posted By: sentrex1 Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/23/07 08:10 PM
I would think that maybe he is right since now its all digital and computerized,like running too many programs on a pc maybe the bcm's resources are all working on the slippage issues
have had any alarm codes,i just found a lost friend that works at nortel bcm support here in ottawa i can ask her and if you have alarms let me know and ill see what i can pull out
Posted By: Nickels Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/23/07 09:06 PM
Just the normal 44 alarm issues with a PRI. I will check the logs and see if there is anything there.
Posted By: vad60 Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/26/07 06:38 AM
I have BCM50 Rel. 2. Doing the same thing after PRI is down from provider. The only way to restore it to disconnect T1 from router and connected it back. Cometimes I have to take the plug off from unit.
I have seen it on other systems as well. I never did it because they changed PRI providers and the problem disappeared but always wondered if an external CSU would help. The "circuit" between the BCM and CSU would be up almost 100% and the CSU is probably better able to handle the slips / errors on the circuit.
Posted By: trcom Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/27/07 08:40 AM
BCM locks up during the day now, sometimes within
one hour of lockup. DTM and cable have been replaced, would it help if the BCM was cold booted and reprogrammed from scratch?
Posted By: sentrex1 Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/30/07 12:52 PM
i actually found an old friend that is a 2nd level tech support for bcm in i was told that if there is too much traffic at once it can hapenn
their suggestion right now is maybe get more
vm ports wich will help there is an issuewith cc
as well no fix yet but they are working on a patch
Posted By: trcom Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/31/07 06:32 AM
REALLY NEED HELP! Yes the BCM has to be rebooted almost every day- This is not a solution, Traffic is not a problem the full 23 channels are up, plenty of vm ports (10) and no call center. The provider of the T1 portion is Telus and the DS1 (PRI Signalling) is BELL, they both claim their CCT is clean without problems. The BCM locked up 3 times on WED Dec 26/07. It has worked fine since then until late last night December 30/07. HOw can the BCM work fine for this time frame and then quit? - is this a provider issue still?
Posted By: trcom Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/31/07 06:37 AM
This BCM is currenly patched with all new releases as of December 22/07. Funny thing though
I have found another site running a BCM50 rel. 2 without any patches, Bell PRI and it works flawlessly
Posted By: tjk78 Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/31/07 07:14 AM
Make sure your clocking is set correctly. That can cause a lot of errors if it's incorrect.
Posted By: trcom Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 12/31/07 07:39 AM
Clocking and all settings are fine - have been working with the telco for over 2 weeks on this.
I just can't imagine that the PRI could lockup the BCM and force a hard reboot this often.
Another thing to consider is to ask the telco to swap the physical pairs that the T is delivered on. Strange how sometimes this makes the problem go away even when Telco says everything tests fine.
Posted By: trcom Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 01/02/08 08:46 AM
System worked for 4 days straight,Dec 27-30, rebooted 2x on Dec 31. Rebooted 2x within the hour on Jan 02/08. - now Bell says they will Change the assignment on the DMS500 - let's cross our fingers. What is the next step?
Would you like me to loan you an external CSU just to see if that would help?

Can the telco put a 24/7 monitor on it for several days? I had a T-1 that was going down sporadically and AT&T absolutely said it was my equipment and I had swapped twice.

I was there one night and by fortune the NIU was in the phone room. As I glanced at it, the lights on one of the 5 T-1s would occasionally flash red/orange and back. I called Special Services and they again grumbled at looking at the circuit. All of a sudden there was an apology and a request to stay on site while they did a fix, the circuit was taking 3000 hits a minute, whatever that meant.

I got to bill them for my time.

With this much time involved you have a right to insist on a 24/7 monitor for at least several days.
Posted By: trcom Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 01/15/08 10:42 AM
the system worked great for 5 more days and then locked up completely. I ended up replacing the BCM with a 3.0 - so far so good. I think the constant rebooting for 1 month really screwed things up. I guess we will never know if the PRI provider was at fault.
Posted By: Nickels Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 01/16/08 07:26 AM
Hey Terry, I think it sounds like you owe me beer!!!!!!
Posted By: Nickels Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 01/16/08 07:26 AM
Hey Terry, I think it sounds like you owe me beer!!!!!!
Posted By: trcom Re: BCM 50 PRI Locking up the entire system - 01/16/08 09:09 PM
Absolutely!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help