atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: greg 88 nortel cap set - 03/25/08 02:51 AM
what terminals are used to power this unit at the jack is it pair 2 or 3?the cord going to the wall is 6 conductor
Posted By: MooreTel Re: nortel cap set - 03/25/08 03:08 AM
Pair 2 for the first cap, pair 3 if using multiple caps if memory serves me right. Polarity sensitive as well. Don't have the manual right in front of me. It should be in yours...Hint, Hint.

At least make an effort to meet us half-way and buy the neccesary manuals if you insist on playing telephone man.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: nortel cap set - 03/25/08 06:54 AM
dave i will have a look at ours, someone has it powered off the valcom paging system.
Posted By: dans Re: nortel cap set - 03/25/08 06:57 AM
MooreTel, you are correct on the pin outs, the ones I have installed were not polarity sensitive.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: nortel cap set - 03/25/08 12:49 PM
Well maybe mine weren't either; been awhile. Guess I better start keeping extra copies of my manuals in the office as well....
Posted By: greg 88 Re: nortel cap set - 03/26/08 01:03 AM
the reason i ask the question is because a number of times i have changed what some of the buttons do but when the cap and m7324 get power cycled the buttons change back to there old programming . there is 24 v on pair 2.what am i doing wrong? thanks
Posted By: jacktel Re: nortel cap set - 03/26/08 03:50 AM
Is the power supply for Cap on same surge strip or battery as system? I have had same problem until both were on same power supply.
Posted By: greg 88 Re: nortel cap set - 03/26/08 11:44 AM
i have to check where they plug in .you may be onto something because i have a feeling they are pluged into 2 different ccts . the install is old and my luck i inherited the maintance of the system .norstar is tough!your help is appreciated thanks
Posted By: telemarv Re: nortel cap set - 03/26/08 02:33 PM
I've never seen a CAP lose it's memory on it's own. Only when a system defaults from a power failure. The wall wart power supply is not the issue.

And yes they are polarity sensitve.
Posted By: greg 88 Re: nortel cap set - 03/26/08 02:55 PM
how would i know if the polarity is wrong ?
Posted By: MooreTel Re: nortel cap set - 03/26/08 03:35 PM
Thought that I was right on the polarity. If the polarity is wrong, it simply won't work.

It sounds like you may have a defective CAP. For the fun of it, try swapping the phone 1st. If the same result, then it must be the CAP.
Posted By: greg 88 Re: nortel cap set - 03/26/08 04:08 PM
may take a few days to get back to that job but i will take your advice and see if your suggestions help thanks. just trying to keep the old girl out of the scrap pile!
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: nortel cap set - 03/27/08 04:23 PM
I have found that sometimes, I said sometimes, the CAP module works with reversed polarity but then acts weird, too. Like loosing the programming.

Connect the Positive to the Black and White.
Connect the Negative to the Yellow and Blue.

According to the Nortel manual it says to wire all 6 wires (2-phone, 4-voltage) whether 1 or 2 modules are used.
But that could also be so that if only 1 is used and later they add #2, wiring is already in place.
Posted By: greg 88 Re: nortel cap set - 03/31/08 03:53 PM
went to site today checked jack wiring and it was as you said black to positive next i noted the voltage it was 20.5 v maybe little low but long run 400' (approx.)than i swapped out the cords ,and finally changed out the 7324 set and after each time still the same problem ! but the only time the line keys did not change back to default position was when i only connected the 7324 and not the cap set ..still open to suggestions
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: nortel cap set - 03/31/08 04:00 PM
Turn off set relocation! Before you disconnect/reconnect any more sets or the CAP. John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: dans Re: nortel cap set - 03/31/08 06:02 PM
I ran into a problem with 2 7324 phones each with 2 CAPS flaking out and solved the problem by replacing Ortronics cat 5e jacks they were using for both voice and data and replaced the voice side with a plain old biscuit jack. Both caps came up and never had problem since.

Dan S
Posted By: telemarv Re: nortel cap set - 03/31/08 06:41 PM
Have associated the CAP to the set in system programming?
Posted By: greg 88 Re: nortel cap set - 04/01/08 01:11 AM
set relocate is off and cap is assigned to that extension
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help