atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: IT_michael Ports, Lines, Extensions, and DN's - 10/30/08 12:39 PM
I have a Nortel Norstar MICS v6.1. The original phone vendor set everything up nicely years ago. Our new vendor has messed mapping up a bit over time. Now, some of the newly assigned extensions are pointing to lines that have already been used elsewhere. I have a number ringing to the wrong phone, and another number going nowhere (when I call it there's a delay before it rings, but it doesn't go to a phone or roll into VM).

Due to economic conditions, I cannot pay for the vendor to sort things out. I need to resolve it myself. I am fairly comfortable getting around the system programming, although I mainly stick to basic settings. The big problem is that the guides only display the commands, they don't do a great job with the logic on the system.

I might be asking much, but it never hurts to try: can anyone explain how the lines, ports, extensions, and DN's are linked?

I think I've sorted out the lines, but it seems maybe the DN's are messed up, and I don't want to 'change DN' if I don't know what the old and new extenstions should be.

Thanks,
~Michael
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Ports, Lines, Extensions, and DN's - 10/30/08 12:48 PM
What you're requesting is beyond the scope of this board. As well it would be too complicated to try and sort it out here.

If you're not happy with your present vendor, it's time to call in another one. It will be worth the cost.

Keep in mind, regardless of who the vendor is and what his capabilities are, if there are others playing around in the programming that don't have the training, you're going to be right back where you are now.
Posted By: IT_michael Re: Ports, Lines, Extensions, and DN's - 10/30/08 01:15 PM
I overestimated this board. Apologies.

Time to tinker... Either I sort it out myself or I break it enough to get service approved.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help