atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Bellhanger Delayed msg delivery - 11/04/08 08:13 AM
MICS R6.1 w/ NAM R4.1.

Customer is telling me that they are getting delayed (several hours) notification of new msg's. Claims that they are even checking for msg & don't find any new msg, and then later will have msg's that were left prior to the last time checked. Typically it is only one person complaining, but lately there has been several.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: Bellhanger Re: Delayed msg delivery - 11/04/08 08:21 AM
I'm new to this site & not sure what the formalities are: Please excuse me for having my head someplace where the sun is not shining & not introducing myself.

Thanks.
Posted By: stringmachine Re: Delayed msg delivery - 11/04/08 09:53 AM
first try to reboot thos babies are a problem with that issue. then replace it.. imo.. nams are problem childs
Posted By: Bellhanger Re: Delayed msg delivery - 11/04/08 02:48 PM
I have rebooted the nam once already . . . seems like there should be a better fix. We had another one of these with different customer that never missed a beat, never a complaint (about delayed msgs) for well over 5 years time in-service.
Posted By: luv2ski Re: Delayed msg delivery - 11/04/08 02:51 PM
MAke sure MBoxes are not full.System allows msg's to be recorded but wont deliver to user if mb is full
Posted By: Yanick Re: Delayed msg delivery - 11/04/08 04:02 PM
luv2ski is right; also, we've replaced every single one but a handful of NAMS we installed or maintained in the last 2-3 years; the HDD could be getting tired and then, you're screwed.

Nortel no longer supports the NAMs.
Posted By: Bellhanger Re: Delayed msg delivery - 11/04/08 05:13 PM
I remember one of the features listed on the nam was a "never full mailbox", which would go with luv2ski's theory. Makes sense to me; My take on the user that has had the most trbl is that they aren't the fasted runner off the line. Will definitely have to see if the box is full when this happens.
As far as the HDD goes, it was new approx. 18 mos ago.

Thanks.
Posted By: Danny_Ocean Re: Delayed msg delivery - 11/05/08 07:14 PM
FWIW: I'm having the same issue with a Flash unit on a CICS. Problem seems to come/go. I know the VM gets its time-stamp from the KSU, so re-booting both at the same time seems to help. Unfortunately, the problem comes back. I advised client to replace the (very old) Flash with a CP.
Could I clear up a misconception? NAMs can be fixed. I have sent many of them to Tennessee Telecom and they have all come back alive so when someone tells you that NAMs can't be repaired it is not the truth. Maybe not every repair facility can fix every NAM but some are better than others.

NAMs don't have the COSTLY license issue of Call Pilots. And yes, Call Pilots have more features, but many customers just need a standard voicemail and NAMs fit that type of customer.

You can drain the memory on a Flash and take it back to default and start over. Unless the customer is storing irreplaceable messages you can kill problems.

Some people don't think they are using a general delivery mail box. I responded to a service call where the customer couldn't record the greeting for a mailbox. In the end, the general delivery mailbox had used up 100% of the available memory. People would call at night, get frustrated, press 0 and leave a message no one ever knew to pick up.

A very prominent local foundation wanted voicemail to email which only the Call Pilot could do. The cost of the CP and all the licenses for vm boxes and for UM came to $9,000 with a low markup. They are very happy not spending $9K to replace the NAM, UM was not that important after all. Other people just starting with fewer boxes could find the CP to be the best option. Make the VM type fit the customer needs.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help