atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: StevenA T1 Caller ID - 11/16/08 10:13 AM
Hey there, while I'm here I thought I'd ask another question. I have a long time client that I've been doing their cabling for and they asked me to take over their Nortel system (AT&T kept messing it up time after time)

Anyways, I was able to get the manuals and books and got them all pretty much straightened out (pretty good given the fact I never worked on a Nortel before)

But I have two unsolved questions left, first, they have a T1 coming in and some pots coming back out. After some fax line consolidations they now have two of the POTS lines unused, calling from them to a phone gives the main number on caller ID. AT&T has been unable or unwilling to give them a list of all their phone numbers and order appearance. I haven't found the setting yet in software to make the number I call from be the number I call from instead of the main number, any ideas?

Second, I have one extension that sounds like it's transferring to voicemail, but there is no mailbox for this extension, nor is there any setting for call forward no answer. Yet the phone rings for about four times and then goes to oblivion.

Thanks to any hints,

Steven
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/16/08 11:15 AM
What model of Nortel are you working on? Norstar, BCM, Meridian...?
Posted By: StevenA Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/16/08 11:47 AM
Erps, sorry about that, it's a Nortel Norstar, software is MICS6.1, I haven't had to play with it in a little while and have since cleaned my desk.

Steven
Posted By: telemarv Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/16/08 03:08 PM
welcome
1) Is this a T1 or PRI?

2)The phone is recalling to voice mail via transfer callback or DRT timers.
Posted By: StevenA Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/17/08 06:56 AM
Hi Marv,

1) It has T1 coming in, and I forget the the model of the SLT card, but their running their faxes on the lines coming out on it. AT&T has just been a total waste of time, even the last job I was at they messed everything up including reversing tip and ring several times.

2) I've looked through all the phone settings and haven't found anything to make it do what it does. Another extension that almost identical just rings and rings, yet this one does not.

They have the auto attendant in which people get to this extension by dialing it's extension number, other then that I can't see anything to explain what it's doing.

Thanks,

Steven
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/17/08 09:44 AM
The company can ask for a list of all numbers they are paying for by saying they need to discontinue some of the service. AT&T has to give them this.

Then call those numbers and see where they ring. The POTS lines should NOT reflect the main number but the PRi lines probably should. If you want the individual extensions off the PRi to have a different number you would use OLI but this is not for POTS lines, won't work on POTS lines.
Posted By: telemarv Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/17/08 10:10 AM
If there is no set specific forwarding, calls follow transfer recall and DRT settings. So unanswered calls will end up back from whence they came. In your case the voice mail. If the GDM is enable they will go there, if not oblivion. Another possiblitity is an ANS DN for the phone somewhere.

Bunnie is correct outgoing caller ID on a POTS line is done by the carrier not the Norstar.
Posted By: StevenA Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/17/08 11:18 AM
In regards to the T1, that's what I thought, but I talked to someone and they said there was a software setting in the Norstar I could change and it would send the right CID info. I'm still working with the client, but I haven't heard anything further from them or AT&T is to their incoming lines. they only have two incoming POTS lines left and those go to the alarm system.

I disabled the GDM (something AT&T said was impossible) next time I'm in there I'll take a look at the timers and the DRT settings. From what I recall, it used to have a voicemail box associated with it, but it has since been deleted as it was taking too much time to return calls (same as why they wanted the GDM disabled as then those messages had to be forwarded to the correct department)

Thanks for the help,

Steven
Posted By: telemarv Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/17/08 12:20 PM
you can only set your own Caller ID if the T1 is a PRI.
Posted By: StevenA Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/17/08 12:36 PM
I'll have to look again, but I think that may be the case.

Thanks Marv,

Steven
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/17/08 08:47 PM
If you are still concerned about POTS line CID at this point, AT&T's switch can be programmed to show any number on any line, PRi or POTS.

If you want to know the "real" number of the POTS lines, you tell AT&T they WILL send you a list of all lines they are charging you for if they expect to be paid for providing them.

If you have four POTS lines, you call those numbers one by one until you figure out which two are the faxes and which two are unused. To be certain, AT&T does not have a right to charge you for lines without identifying them. Otherwise they could be charging you for forty lines and providing three.
Posted By: StevenA Re: T1 Caller ID - 11/18/08 08:05 AM
I understand what your saying, it's easy enough to identify which ones are not being used as there are no x-connects on them anymore.

I haven't heard anything more from the client so i can only assume they are waiting on AT&T to identify the lines as that is the last status from them that I know.

AT&T is just a bit tiring anymore, my other client with a Telrad system was getting double dial tone, AT&T said it was the phone system as the ports were doubled up. I pulled the CO bridge clips (on my side since they didn't bother to install a NIB or isolation point) and called from their side and got a double call. They are still insisting it's on the customer side because the phones are doubled up on the ports of the Telrad, which it's perfectly capable of doing.

I've lost many of a customer because of what they do since the customer thinks I'm the one at fault.

Steven
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help