atcomsystems.ca/forum
System is an MICS w/CP150.

Client called to complain that they couldn't receive messages at the main phone (Ext. 221, MB 100).

Once on scene, I logged-in to the General Delivery Mailbox...which stated "Mailbox Full"...3075 new messages eek !!! Apparently, the new receptionist was more interested in polishing her nails than answering the phone or checking messages.

Now if this were any other mailbox, I would delete it and start over. BUT...you can't delete the Gen. Delivery MB.

We calculated, at 2.5 secs. per message (FF/ERASE...FF/ERASE), it will take appx. 2 weeks (24/7) to delete all these messages.

Defaulting the system would be a nightmare. Large telemarketing center with many mailboxes/saved messages, etc. Backing-up then defaulting is what I'm thinking, but still would be a pain.

Any ideas? I'm :confused: & :bang:
You can tell people to take out their saved messages and as they want to stay employed, they will do so.

You can default and recreate the mailboxes in an hour.

Or they could hire a temp for two weeks and see if that would be cheaper than your charge.
Thanks, but seeking other options (if any).

Wondering out loud here...

Will logging in to the boot menu of the CP get me anywhere?
Only way I know is to delete one by one.

I don't know where you get your math from but in Canada 3000 msg at 2 sec each, 30/min, 1,800/hr... is less than 2 hours of press 8 OK, 8 OK, 8 OK..... to clear the mailbox.
Canada's on the metric system, no? laugh

I didn't do the math. My assistant did and reported to me. I usually double-check his work, but in this instance it wasn't critical. I'll kick him in the arse when I see him tomorrow.

Originally posted by telemarv:
Only way I know is to delete one by one.

I don't know where you get your math from but in Canada 3000 msg at 2 sec each, 30/min, 1,800/hr... is less than 2 hours of press 8 OK, 8 OK, 8 OK..... to clear the mailbox.
What was the maximum mailbox time of the general MB on that CP? I have never heard of a system allowing that many messages. The maximum allow is 180 minutes I think. You might have a corrupt box....
The GDM will hold as many messages as there is memory.
I listened to a few of them and they were hang-ups.
Originally posted by Danny_Ocean:
I listened to a few of them and they were hang-ups.
Probably from previous callers who never got a call back. Don't blame them, I would do the same...
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Probably from previous callers who never got a call back. Don't blame them, I would do the same...
I'm speculating that the "hang-ups" don't take up as much room as a message.
Yes, but they still take the same amount of time to delete. You could have thousands of one or two second hangups. Your count was 3075 in your first post.

Time to get the new receptionist started on the task.
I was responding to this: "What was the maximum mailbox time of the general MB on that CP? I have never heard of a system allowing that many messages. The maximum allow is 180 minutes I think. You might have a corrupt box.... ".

It's not my receptionist.

Originally posted by Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie:
Yes, but they still take the same amount of time to delete. You could have thousands of one or two second hangups. Your count was 3075 in your first post.

Time to get the new receptionist started on the task.
Have her delete them with her newly painted nails, like telemarv said it should only take a couple of hours or so.
When I get into Voice Mail, I try to check the GenDel mail box for a real extention number. If the DN for the GD is still at 100, I check it out. I have seen too many people that don't even know they have a GD MB and never check them.
Many times I find over 2000 messages.
I show them how to delete them one at a time then say, "have fun."
I will make sure they know how to check them or just disable the GD so it doesn't happen again.
The mailbox was assigned to 221. Her "message waiting" light was burning brightly. She had been instructed in the past how to check messages.

Oh well...not my problem.

P.S. - Checked again the other day. Calls were up to 3800+. How the heck do you get that many more calls when "mailbox full"?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help