atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: JTELL Nostar System Hacked - 02/07/09 03:10 PM
Received a call regarding Norstar telephone system getting hacked and making out going call`s to another country here in Southern Ontario. Understand to remove all out dials and have diferent passwords, but does anyone know how they may be getting into voicemails remotely and programming this for it to happen, is there a purpose other than telco billing large amounts for LD. Any additional tips for customers to try and prevent would be appreceated.

Thanks
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Nostar System Hacked - 02/07/09 03:24 PM
Some sites on the web are giving out out free info such as passwords and "How TO" information. This site is NOT one of them.

Hackers get this info and start calling. There are plenty of systems out there with either default passwords or EZ to remember ones such as 1111, 2222, 1234, etc. You get the idea. I always make a point to instruct the client to change these or face the LD invoice of the century. Their choice.

That is why the Nortel Mods of this site created this for our visitors. We care about our clients! laugh

Only other reason that I can think of for hacking would be to play around and see what you could do.

Too many people out there that need to get a life.
Posted By: KenW Re: Nostar System Hacked - 02/07/09 03:37 PM
Been a long time since the last customer trouble.This was on a NAM. Think I setup cos change password (6 digits is default I think). Then restricted all extensions from dialing 011 ===including the vm extensions===. What was a real pain was trying to find a dummy mailbox that was setup locally. One that did not match the local extensionb group. Never thought of nam tools!!! Never heard of any more calls made.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help