atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Danny_Ocean Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/21/11 06:39 PM
Client has an MICS with analog line cards. They recently switched (against my recommendation) to an ATT "IP Solutions" product which delivers their dial tone via a router.

Nine lines, all roll-over.

Client has been receiving complaints of busy lines on incoming calls. I tested today and determined that the main line cannot handle more than 2 simultaneous calls (second caller rolls to L2, third caller gets a busy signal).

I KNOW, BEYOND A DOUBT that ATT is going to say "it's your phone equipment". I KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO SAY THIS!(And I'll bet you any amount this will occur).

So, as typical, I have to prepare to defend my Nortel system. Are there any settings in the system that would prevent a roll or cause a busy signal? I've already checked C.O. line distance, etc.
Posted By: MMcDonald01 Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/21/11 08:46 PM
Danny,
I would ask them how many paths they have for the main Hunt Group. I know the customer has to pay per path and the Sales Rep will sometimes not put as many paths as they should to make the quote look better.

I can not think of any reason why it could possibly be the PBX.

Let us know what happens.
Mark Mc
Posted By: Z-man Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/21/11 08:51 PM
Rollover is handled by the carrier. The PBX doesnt do anything with it except accept the call.
Posted By: Danny_Ocean Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/22/11 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MMcDonald01:
Danny,
I would ask them how many paths they have for the main Hunt Group.
I spoke with an engineer who was logged-in to the router yesterday and he indicated 10 paths. They have 9 lines, so that adds up.
Posted By: MMcDonald01 Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/22/11 12:47 PM
Danny,
I do not get the math. If he said they have 10 paths for nine lines it does not make sense. If you have someone who can test with you I would ask them to make the change to no paths. If this is done the second call should get a busy signal. If that works then I would have them setup the setting back to 8 paths which should be correct.

Mark
Posted By: Danny_Ocean Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/22/11 05:20 PM
Nine paths would be the nine lines, 10th path would be the ATT voicemail box.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/23/11 08:33 PM
Get yourself (9) 2500 sets, (9) modular blocks, and (9) pairs of inside wire to the router block.

Verify the PSTN numbers, and put a Post-It note on each phone, numbered from 1 to 9.

Disconnect the PBX.

Schedule a vendor meet with AT&T. Be sure to invite your customer to observe.

Demonstrate the problem, using just the SLT's.

Ring into, and then leave off-hook, each phone in turn. Use a cell phone with its speakerphone turned on to do this, as a "nothing up my sleeve" proof.

* The cost of the phones is minimal.

* The cost of your labor is minimal.

* The look on their faces when you do your little dog & pony show and prove that they are FOS....

"Priceless."
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/24/11 06:16 AM
Danny, I assume this worked before the change.
What Arthur says is a good thing to do, however if the problem is yours AT&T will bill the customer. Your time should not be for free.
Present Arthur's solution to the customer and give them a price to test that way. In either case you'll know where the promlem is. It's not the PBX,
Ken
Posted By: skip555 Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/24/11 06:54 AM
just pull all the lines off the MICS , make three test calls and see what happens to the third call

when it returns busy then its in ATT's court

have you tried dialing the third line directly to see if it rings or returns busy ?

while Arthur's scenario is appealing there is really no need to have phones physically attached and to go through the time and expense

9 2500s @ 30 is 270 you really dont need to spend if you dont have a recurring use for 2500s
Posted By: Yoda Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/24/11 07:22 AM
Instead of 2500 sets, just put a short across each line to simulate off-hook.
Posted By: Danny_Ocean Re: Pre-emptive strike: ATT rollover - 07/24/11 01:34 PM
No, the problem wasn't present with the last service (copper/analog/POTS lines).

Haven't tried calling in to the third line yet. Didn't have enough cellphones (or hands) to try it.

Yes, I will be shorting the lines, once removed from the system, to test.
First thing you need to do is call third line n see what it does.
call it direct, if it works then busy out other two n call main line
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help