atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: itsmeinaz Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/19/17 05:23 PM
Hi,
We've programmed the system for music, but there's still no audio playing. We've connected the external MOH player with a 3.5mm audio jack. The tones will play, but the on-hold message won't. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any insight you can share!
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/19/17 07:25 PM
Are you using a mono or stereo jack?
Book calls for mono, but then explains it in stereo.
If you try using a stereo jack, you don't use the normal tip & ring ends. Use the tip and the farthest away from the tip (sleeve or ground).
You can also punch down the wire to the 66-block on pair 13.
Tip-Black/Green
Ring-Green/Black

Also - if you are using a Stereo SOURCE. Then tie the left & right together for the sound(Ring) and then the Ground(Tip) will be your other connection.

If still no sound try flipping Tip & Ring
If still no sound, then someone blew up the MOH circuit
Posted By: itsmeinaz Re: Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/19/17 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info. We're an MOH provider trying to help our client with their installation which is out of state. Their phone tech is in the hospital

It's a mono jack and a mono recording. I was thinking the MOH port in the phone system might be bad. You confirmed what I was already thinking.

Unless she finds another tech I'm guessing she'll need to get this resolved when her tech is out of the hospital.

Thanks for answering my post!
Posted By: Yoda Re: Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/19/17 11:42 PM
Also, make sure there is audio coming out of the cord connected to the MOH player. Test with a butt set.

Jim
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/20/17 03:03 AM
Good Call Yoda.
I guess I should not have assumed that itsmeinaz had good music source.

itsmeinaz:
If the source is too low volume, it may sound like it is not working. And since you are a MOH provider, does your unit have selectable impedance?
Posted By: conxtel Re: Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/24/17 02:21 AM
What do you mean by "The tones will play, but the on-hold message won't"?

When you place a call on hold, do you hear tones (beeping every 10 seconds or so) or dead air? If it's tones, you have to change the setting in programming.

Easy way to test too is to turn on the background music in system programming and then use Feature 86 on a set. If the audio is making it to the system, it will play on the speaker of the phone.
Posted By: itsmeinaz Re: Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/25/17 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone! We'd changed the programming to be music. After troubleshooting with the client for a while she mentioned the cable going into the BCM50 wasn't seated tightly. The equipment came with an RCA to 3.5mm adapter. When she plugged that in, there was a secure connection. After going back and forth trying different things, one thing we didn't try again after she had a secure connection was changing out the piggyback cable from the red to white connector. When her tech recovered from his emergency surgery he walked in, switched from the red to the white connector and everything is working fine. Embarrassing on my part to not have her switch those after the connection was secure.
Thanks again for everyone's help!
Posted By: Yoda Re: Nortel BCM50 On-hold music - 05/25/17 04:56 PM
Just illustrates the value of a good tech!

And . . . It's the simple things that get you.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help