atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mikemasson123 Voicemail hacker prevention procedure - 10/04/19 01:55 PM
Is there a procedure, (step by step) to prevent hackers from remotely getting into Norstar Voicemail systems and running up very unwanted toll charges for customers? Is the Call Pilot harder to hack than the Flash voicemail systems?
Posted By: dans Re: Voicemail hacker prevention procedure - 10/04/19 02:47 PM
Do a search under Nortel, using search work hackers
Can't find using "search work hackers"
Posted By: jsaad Re: Voicemail hacker prevention procedure - 10/04/19 03:38 PM
Restrict the voicemail ports from the phone system side. Deny all outbound calls. Then test the restriction filter on a phone, then apply that restriction filter to the voicemail ports.

Posted By: dans Re: Voicemail hacker prevention procedure - 10/04/19 04:04 PM
I meant type in the word hackers in the keyword search terms box
Posted By: Curlycord Re: Voicemail hacker prevention procedure - 10/04/19 08:36 PM
"from remotely getting into Norstar Voicemail systems"

The only way to prevent then from accessing your mailbox is not to have trivial passwords like 1234, 1111, or ext # twice etc.
You can use 4 to 8 digit passwords.

The Callpilot is more powerful in that you can edit Class Of Service.
Example is on a Flashtalk you could deny Off Prem Notify by changing the COS from 0X to 05 (11 on NAM), those 2 COS levels restrict the Outbound but they also give you less message time and other features.
You also turn off Trivial Passwords in Callpilot to prevent users from using them.

"Restrict the voicemail ports"
You cannot restrict the voice mail DN on the newer voice mails (also trying to remove intercoms, lines or pools from vmails DN will not work in preventing vmail to call outl)
You assign a restriction filter but it will be ignored.
You can however assign the restriction filter to the set, the filter will restrict both the set and the mailbox (only if the DN matches the mailbox # such as X222 and mailbox 222)
Restrict 0, if the set ever needs to call 0 then you can override it by using the KSU's version of Class Of Service password.
Or you can restrict just the lines from using 0 and again can be overridden using the KSU's version of Class Of Service password

I will PM you a FAQ I made on this.

Thanks for all the info.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help