atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Anonymous Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/12/19 09:04 PM
I am thinking of adding music on hold to my Nortel 616, for personal use only, no business use of any kind. Is that legal to do? Thankyou.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/13/19 04:46 AM
No business use, yes.

-Hal
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/13/19 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by hbiss
No business use, yes.

-Hal

No just home use, as I don't have a business at all. I will not install the music on hold if it at all illegal.
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/13/19 01:57 PM
It will depend on what kind of music is playing. The whole point of FCC site licenses is to make sure the artists/copyright owners aren't being ripped off.If you're playing public domain music, it won't matter if you're a business or not. Rebroadcast of copyrighted material is the illegal part of all this, not whether or not you're a business.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/13/19 02:09 PM
Ok thank you all, I will not be installing the music on hold due to the copyright laws on this.
Posted By: NTlayoff Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/13/19 09:35 PM
Do a search for Royalty Free Music.
You can download music for free - or pay once to download and then use it all you want.

Some of it is pretty good music and different varieties of music.
Posted By: MnDave Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/13/19 11:44 PM
We called our biggest local PBS station once to see if we could tune a radio to their channel but being public radio didn't change a thing. They also play copyrighted music.
Posted By: dans Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/14/19 03:42 PM
You have a better chance of winning the lottery then the FCC busting down your door.
Posted By: Daniel Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/14/19 06:44 PM
We had a customer who got a cease and desist letter, but that is one time.
Posted By: Curlycord Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/14/19 10:35 PM
"I will not be installing the music on hold due to the copyright laws on this"

Rubbish!!!
Get the Led out!

The laws/rules applies to a business only.
If you are are taking in money while re-broadcasting then that falls under a business.

Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 10/15/19 03:41 AM
Wow. I have canned music on my business system and Alexa (Alexa, volume 5) next to my desk phone. I can listen to what I want and the customer gets whatever Grandstream or Yeastar uses.

Nortel have blip noises...good enough for residential.

Carl
Posted By: wanebo Re: Nortel/Music on Hold Question - 12/13/19 10:07 PM
I have heard of multiple businesses getting C&D letters over playing radio stations through their phone systems as MOH. I have never heard of a private person getting one though. My opinion is do it and don't fret. If you receive a C&D just unplug the music source.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help