atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ictelco MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/23/09 03:24 PM
Does anyone else have this issue, where when calling into a system from a cellphone and being placed on hold, the MOH volume fades in and out and is distorted, yet calling in from a landline and being placed on hold sounds perfectly fine? I've had several complaints from TDA and TDE users and typically the MOH source is an On Hold Plus unit. The source can be anything and yet the symptom is the same. I wondered if someone could explain why the issue?
Thanks
Posted By: OBT Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/23/09 03:34 PM
I have noticed that too, I put it down to the bandwidth of the voice path of cellular networks and distorting when the sound clips at peak amplitude
Posted By: 94astro Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/23/09 04:03 PM
I've noticed that too, I've never had a good explanation to customers for it. Now maybe I have the right answer! Just have to memorize it...

"the bandwidth of the voice path of cellular networks and distorting when the sound clips at peak amplitude"

"the bandwidth of the voice path of cellular networks and distorting when the sound clips at peak amplitude"

Thanks OBT!!
Posted By: kevhawk13 Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/23/09 06:40 PM
Wow... I've always told tham that a cell phone is not a good tool to test the MOH, but OBT has taken it to another level...
Posted By: brokeda Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/23/09 07:07 PM
Blind em with BS!!!
Another tool to fade Heat!
Posted By: skip555 Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/23/09 07:16 PM
OBT must have kissed the blarney stone laugh

(I do like it though )
Posted By: OBT Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/24/09 12:29 AM
Guys, it the art of talking your way out the door. if you don't know the answer use plenty of technical words explaining why it is happening.
Hey, maybe I am right :toast:
OBT, yuk! puke Do you know who's mouth was there before yours, and where it had been before? (Gee, that sounds sorta like what my mom used to say to me 60 years ago!) smile
Posted By: metelcom Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/24/09 06:18 AM
I get the same problem when calling in to check voicemail messages. I relate it to the poor quality of cell phones. Wait a few years and the VoIP engineers will have all the calls sounding that poor then we won't notice the difference.
Posted By: ictelco Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/24/09 06:40 AM
Here is some info I have found about this:

"The codecs and processing routines on your mobile phones are extremely optimized towards human speech. They will throw out any sound that it doesn't think is speech in order to both conserve network bandwidth and to cancel out noise. Music, especially at a low volume, gets thrown out by the codec. Sometimes if the music has a singer it will come across better.

There's no way to fix this. I've noticed this on both CDMA and GSM phones."

Here's another interesting observation:

"The one thing nobody's mention yet is that the audio on mobiles cuts in an out all the time, but you don't notice it as much in a conversation because; You're talking a lot of the time and there are lots of little times where there simply is no sound.

You notice it much more when you know you should be hearing continuous audio."

I'd say OBT you're "spot on"!

Thanks
Posted By: 94astro Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/24/09 07:19 AM
I knew OBT was right, he usually is. You just gotta dumb it down for your cousins across the pond man.
Posted By: OBT Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/24/09 08:50 AM
thanks 94 astro, the $50.. is in the post

lightninghourse, I saw the woman in front of me, and I have kissed worse smile
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Posted By: MrGemini Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/24/09 09:34 AM
lets please stay topic
----------------------
thanks, G
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: MOH when calling in on a cellphone - 09/24/09 02:48 PM
We've noticed (years ago) the same thing. We went crazy for awhile after installing MOH devices and testing them with our cell phones---we thought something was wrong with the machine, the connectors, whatever.

I did some research back then, and found that someone said that it had to do with the "sampling rate" of the MOH---but the "codecs and processing routines" of the cell phones seem to make sense. Of course, "the bandwidth of the voice path of cellular networks and distorting when the sound clips at peak amplitude" is the best....so far!!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help