atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: tfseth KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/10/09 11:09 AM
I am a computer tech at a small office. They have a KX-TDA100 and TVA50 that was installed before I started. There's about 13 extensions currently but only 4 are having issues.

They take 1+ minute to go to VM on no answer and/or busy (with one not going on busy). I've checked the time to VM from the phone itself and set it to 15 seconds on one, but it made no difference. The other extensions work without issue.

I've logged into the TVA50 system, but I've got no idea how to t/s this issue. The setting was 20 for Call Transfer No Answer Time under Dialing Parameters (I think that's the right spot).

Any ideas out there? My company expects me to fix the system.
Posted By: ictelco Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/10/09 11:49 AM
Are the phones with the problems actually set to forward busy/na to voicemail or are they going on an incomplete call handling condition? Is the FWD/DND light activated on each phone? When it ends up in voicemail does it play the mbox owners greeting or does it say,"sorry no one is available to take your call........"?
Posted By: tfseth Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/10/09 12:08 PM
Are the phones with the problems actually set to forward busy/na to voicemail or are they going on an incomplete call handling condition?

I assume you mean on the TVA50 setup, and yes they are. I checked the problem extensions earlier today.

Is the FWD/DND light activated on each phone?

Yes it is.

When it ends up in voicemail does it play the mbox owners greeting or does it say,"sorry no one is available to take your call........"?

Yes, it's the owners greeting.
Posted By: ictelco Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/10/09 12:25 PM
In telephone set programming, check program 53.
Posted By: tfseth Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/10/09 12:55 PM
Ok, please bear with me. I've never worked phones before. Can you explain what you mean by "In telephone set programming, check program 53"?
Posted By: ictelco Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/10/09 02:10 PM
Each phone can set parameters to allow features and on what conditions. Check the user guide page 10. It explains "Settings on the Programming Mode". Program 50 thru 53 have to do with Call Forwarding Feature set up.
Posted By: tfseth Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 05:35 AM
Ok, here's one phone's info:

5 - 0:
FWD B/NA:111

5 - 1:

5 - 2:

5 - 3:
Timer (Sec): 010

This is the one that rings over a minute before VM on no answer AND rings busy when in use.
Posted By: ictelco Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 06:08 AM
111 indicates the forwarding destination is ext 111. Is that the voicemail extension number?
Posted By: tfseth Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 06:38 AM
yes
Posted By: ictelco Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 10:31 AM
Go to an existing known working phone, look at the settings, and use the same settings for the extensions that seem not to be correct. It should be that simple....
Posted By: tfseth Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 11:04 AM
All the phones that work show, as an example, FWD B/NA:500

Can someone explain this 'cause I'm confused.
Posted By: ictelco Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 11:59 AM
500 by default is the extension number of voicemail. Therefore settings such as call forward busy/no answer should point to the "pilot" extension number of voicemail 500. If the phone is forwarded to 111 that would be a specific extension or destination. Because multiple ports work off of a "pilot" extension number, that is why the voicemail destination would be 500.
Posted By: tfseth Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 12:08 PM
Ok, cool. Thanks for the help here. Outside of plugging the cable to the walljack, I'd not done much with phones in my life.
Posted By: ictelco Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/11/09 01:19 PM
You're welcome for the help. One of the things that we in the telecommunications industry hope to do is show the "computer guy" and the corporate bosses that IT is not telecommunications, and in fact something as simple as setting call forwarding to voicemail is not something that in any way is similar to anyting on a computer. That is the same mentality that we've heard for years,"why does it take so long to get my phone line, all you have to do is FLIP A SWITCH!"
Posted By: tfseth Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/12/09 05:18 AM
Oh, I know it's not the same thing believe me.

They'd prefer me to run 5 new phone lines and set them up in this system instead of paying someone who has working knowledge to do it. Personally, I think that's a bad idea. I do PC hardware/software support.

I don't mind learning some things about the phone system, and being able to troubleshoot some smaller problems only makes me more valuable to the organization.
Posted By: apccommgrp Re: KX-TVA50 VM issues - 11/12/09 10:18 AM
I agree. It sounds like you have the ability to perform the admin level work to the system. Programming and setting up new extensions, voicemail, and auto attendant changes are better left to certified technicians. Trust me if it goes off without a hitch you'll be their hero. If there's an accidental programming change and you cant fix it they will throw you under the bus.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help