atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MichaelV Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/11/13 04:46 PM
Having trouble getting the Panasonic IP Softphone to register on Win7 64bit. I have an XP pro laptop that it works fine on. Using Sonicewall vpn client software to connect remotely from my home, 32bit client for my laptop, 64bit client for the desktop. Is there something different about the 64bit sonicwall client that would prevent a registration? I have the latest softphone version from panasonic partner portal website.

Thanks, Mike
Posted By: ShawnC Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/11/13 08:02 PM
Try Runing ip software in 32bit mode
Posted By: OBT Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/11/13 09:46 PM
Do you have nortons antivirus on the machine. If yes add the ip phone in exceptions
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/12/13 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by ShawnC
Try Runing ip software in 32bit mode

Are you talking about the Sonicwall client software? There isn't a 32bit only version of the Panasonic software that I'm aware of.
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/12/13 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by OBT
Do you have nortons antivirus on the machine. If yes add the ip phone in exceptions

No norton antivirus, running Microsoft security essentials.
Posted By: OBT Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/12/13 08:12 AM
Is the ip phone software installed ok is it failing on connection or launching of program

You don't say what system model it is. So can you ping both system IP address if ncp/tde
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/12/13 04:50 PM
This is on a brand new NCP500 with latest software.
I tested the IP softphone on site using my XP pro laptop first. Software installed and registration went fine, then I deregistered the IP softphone. Went home, downloaded the Sonicwall VPN client 32bit, imported the .rcf config file sent to me by the network admin, enabled the vpn connection. I was able to ping the phone system private IP, connected with the Unified programming tool, and initiated registration. Again, worked fine on my laptop from my home network, again then deregestered the softphone. Set up my Win7 desktop with the sonicwall vpn client, imported the .rcf file, enabled the connection, and now able to ping the phone system from my Win7 desktop, connect with the Unified programming tool, and initiate registration. Install of the IP softphone went fine, program opens with no issues, I just get "Network initialization failed. Please check network settings." popup window.

I tried running the IP softphone in XP pro compatibility mode, which I think is what ShawnC means, but same issue. I never get any other errors during software install. It just fails to register.
Posted By: OBT Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/12/13 08:49 PM
It sounds like a firewall issue on the lap top. Have you tried the windows 7 machine on local site
Posted By: ShawnC Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/12/13 09:49 PM
I concur with OBT! Indeed that's what I meant , Try to run ip phone software in compatibility mode...
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/13/13 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by OBT
It sounds like a firewall issue on the lap top. Have you tried the windows 7 machine on local site

No, the laptop(WinXPpro machine)is the working one, the desktop(Win7home premium)doesn't work.

I've tried turning the firewall completely off, I've checked to see if the softphone is listed in the allowed program list. Something else to look at?

Not sure I'd want to drag my desktop to the client, maybe need to see if they have a win7 machine on site.
Posted By: toby162 Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/16/13 03:22 PM
I have run into this issue several times. If you can ping the private IP of the PBX across the VPN tunnel then the VPN software and VPN setup should be fine. I do two things when I run into this issue. First, I start the registration process of the softphone BEFORE even opening the softphone client on the machine. The other item I have had to adjust is the network adapter that is being used by the softphone. When you get the Network Initialization Failed message you press cancel and it probably pops the box asking for the IP address of the PBX. Cancel that and quickly click the option button to get into the options for the softphone. I believe there is a tab for network and under that tab is an option to select which network adapter you want to use. For some reason I have found changing to the wired/wireless adapter in use on the machine will help with this issue. Typically the softphone selects the VPN adapter and for one reason or another it does not seem to work. I will say that once the initialization is done you should not have to worry about which network adapter is tries to use. This seems to only matter during the initial registration process. Hope this helps.
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/16/13 04:41 PM
Thanks for the reply toby162, but I have done that as well. Tried every which way to do this, in different orders, compatibility mode, etc. Just won't register. My network adapter is the only thing that is listed in the dropdown menu of the options, network tab. I have a feeling the Sonicwall is somehow treating the softphone differently from a Win7 machine, but not sure why.
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/17/13 04:43 PM
Anyone know of a way to test ports that are open to the PBX? I know that the VOIP test tool is something to use, but only tests computer to computer.
Posted By: ShawnC Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/20/13 04:54 PM
Try www.yougetsignal.com has built in port scanner FYI We had a huge project with a sonicwall ahead of everything and IT people swore up and down that ports were opened and never could get port forwarding or maint console connect or remote IP phones or softphones working we wound up getting our own broadband connection to our router !!
Posted By: MichaelV Re: Panasonic IP Softphone on Win7 64bit? - 12/29/13 03:18 AM
Just a little update. Its been determined that the Sonicwall soft client may be masking the hardware mac address of the network adapter on Win7, and that is why registration fails. Still working on this.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help