atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Moshe Katz Direct 911 call on KX-TA624 (Kari's Law) - 05/10/19 07:22 PM
Hello all,

I have a KX-TA624 system which was installed in a synagogue around 15 years ago. This system is set up in the typical "press 9 for an outside line" manner.

We want to set up the system so that dialing 911 directly calls 911 without needing to first press 9 for an outside line, if that is possible to do. (While Kari's Law, passed last year, only requires new systems to be compliant, we feel that this is an important feature to have if we can.)

If I remember correctly (based on working on another KX-TA624 around 10 years ago), if we can't do that only for 911, we can switch the phones so they choose the outside line as the default when you pick up the handset (instead of the internal dialtone for intercom use) and then try to train users to explicitly press intercom before they dial an internal number.

Does anyone know if we can program this system for 911 to work directly? If we can't, what is the procedure for changing the default off-hook behavior from intercom to an outside line?

Thank you.
Posted By: Daniel Re: Direct 911 call on KX-TA624 (Kari's Law) - 05/10/19 08:09 PM
I don't have the document in front of me, but I think there is something about making a speed dial of 11 dial 911 that way when you dial 9 (outside line) 11 (now a speed dial of 11) the phone system dials 911. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Yes.

Program 309 Emergency Dial Number has bin 11 default as 911.

Page 3-66 for Instructions on how to use
and page 4-57 for programming.
A TA-624 wasn't that smart! To the OP, what phones are you using? If they are single line sets, you can program pickup dial to give them the "'9" after a delay of 1 2 or 3 seconds, if I recall. However, if your system is small, it might be time to consider a change, depending on the number of proprietary sets and things like door boxes.

The Emergency dial feature was used to bypass class of service restrictions. You still had to access a line by pressing a line key or dialing 9.

TD and TAW systems frequently show up on Ebay (watch this space :-)) for pennies on the dollar. Then you could replace a 30 year old box with a 20 year old box.

Carl
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help