atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dtel Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/17/20 06:27 PM
Following the instructions provided by Panasonic Tech Support, the TDA50can be configured to "somewhat" comply with Kari's Law. I have set up a TDA 50 system that used to have auto CO hunting and will no longer access an outside line when the handset is lifted. When a line button is pressed, access is not allowed. I assume that it is looking at the digits being dialed, before it selects a trunk group and dials out. The customer does not like this AT ALL. Old habits, you know. I am wondering if auto co hunt at all extensions, is considered compliant????
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 03:52 PM
Did you upgrade the SD card? Guessing you did since you said you followed instructions from Panasonic.
Posted By: Daniel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 04:15 PM
Did you upgrade, or did you follow the tech note on making a speed dial for location 11?
Posted By: dtel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 05:52 PM
The tech bulletin was dated 11/17/14. it used ARS leading number "11" and "9" as the carrier access code. "11" in the Emergency Dial table and call block disabled.
Posted By: dtel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 06:05 PM
I just downloaded the E911 compliance software and "newer" tech bulletin. Panasonic tech support passed me up the line, into the never ending hold music, to confirm actual compliance to this law. First level would not commit to the legal status of the update. That tech bulletin is identical to what I have.

I am very curious about the continuation of the product using this PATCH. After 50 minutes on hold, like in the old days, I feel like I am on my own on this. After 45 years, it is Time to retire, for sure....
Posted By: Daniel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 06:23 PM
As I understand it existing systems don't have to be upgraded (consult a lawyer for legal advise). Only systems sold and installed after a certain date.
Posted By: dtel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 07:08 PM
I am told that a new tech bulletin was sent out last Friday and that the E911 Compliant version 6.022 software doesn't require ARS. My firmware is at 6.022 but I apparently can't find the new tech update on the website. Still waiting for an email with the correct tech doc.
Posted By: dtel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 07:14 PM
The customer is a pizza joint with teenage employees, three SLT cordless phones, and they wanted to address the liability. I also have a few TDA 50g ksu's in inventory and wanted to confirm the E911 operation after upgrade.

Has anyone upgraded and tested this version?
Posted By: C5Z Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/18/20 10:09 PM
I have upgraded several TDA50s to 6.022, and it works just fine.
C5Z
Posted By: dtel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/19/20 04:00 PM
C5Z have you tested the single line ports for E911 ?
Posted By: C5Z Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/21/20 02:07 AM
Yes, it works fine on the single line ports too.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/22/20 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by dtel
Following the instructions provided by Panasonic Tech Support, the TDA50can be configured to "somewhat" comply with Kari's Law. I have set up a TDA 50 system that used to have auto CO hunting and will no longer access an outside line when the handset is lifted. When a line button is pressed, access is not allowed. I assume that it is looking at the digits being dialed, before it selects a trunk group and dials out. The customer does not like this AT ALL. Old habits, you know. I am wondering if auto co hunt at all extensions, is considered compliant????

You are NOT required by Federal Law to update Legacy Multi-line Telephone Systems. For more information read this post.

Posted By: hbiss Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/23/20 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Professor Shadow
You are NOT required by Federal Law to update Legacy Multi-line Telephone Systems. For more information read this post.

Well, even though the system qualifies as a legacy system and does not have to be made compliant, Panasonic did a disservice by coming out with an update to address the issue. So now, if someone is injured, the owner can't use the "legacy system" defense because there is a fix. If the owner didn't install it to make the system compliant, the injured party's lawyer will argue that it was available and should have been installed. If it was, his client wouldn't have suffered a delay in response and the consequences because of it. Likely there will be a large settlement for the defendant against the owner.

So, Panasonic and other manufacturers need to leave it the hell alone or their customers need to be made aware that they MUST upgrade their systems if a fix is made available!

-Hal
Posted By: Daniel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 02/26/20 02:36 PM
I believe that part of the reason that Panasonic came out with the firmware fix, was that they wanted to continue to sell the TDA after the Feb compliance date. The ARS fix, seems to be just a fast work around so that you don't have to do a full upgrade which may or may not require re-registering the system.
Posted By: dtel Re: Karii's Law and TDA50 - 03/09/20 04:06 PM
Has the Ray Baum portion of this law been addressed? Most of my customers have fewer than 5 lines and less than 10 phones. They do not have security guards or receptionists to manage the "notification" rule. Auto repair shops, glass shops, fire stations, real estate offices, etc. The site notification would have to trigger an alarm that notified all phones throughout the facility. Maybe use the contact closures or paging features??
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help