atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: DonaldR Caller ID and Panasonic PBX/VMS & ATT - 09/25/20 01:42 PM
For some time now, probably close to the last three years I have noticed the date and time received by caller ID information fluctuate radically, from one hour +/- to several hours.

In the past it seemed to be a problem during the change on/off of DST here in California, namely Los Angeles County.

It seemed that when I changed from POTS service for home internet to ATT U-Verse is when it started happening. Currently the home phone and internet are through Sonic.net which on the hardware side is still provided by ATT.

The business line is still on a POTS connected to a 5ESS, which blows my theory out of the water that U-Verse was the problem. Caller ID from the 5ESS also fluctuates.....unless of course only data received on CO1 adjusts the TA-824s date and time, and CO2 beyond is ignored?

To the point, I have spoke with support from both ATT and Sonic.net. I was told that Panasonic equipment was the "worst" for interpreting Caller ID data accurately.

I've had a KX-TA824 installed here which is now 10+ years old. The KXT-VA50 is now 9 years old.

For approximately the first 7 years Caller ID Date and Time never faltered.

I don't think it's the fault of Panasonic's equipment. I think ATT is merely trying to lay blame elsewhere? banghead

Your feedback is appreciated.

Don Resor
Posted By: Not_sirius Re: Caller ID and Panasonic PBX/VMS & ATT - 01/21/21 10:16 PM
Welcome to dealing with the shape shifting blame deflection machine of good old MOTHER ....... BULL..

They always told me how with the new [fill in the blank] "program" in place everything would go smoother and the customers would love us again. NOT! But it is what it IS.

I tend to fall back on everything was fine until you at AT&T touched it!

It sounds like you have 1 of each line type going into your 824?

You can try putting a cheap CID phone on AHEAD of the system to see what they ARE sending. This could eliminate the Panasonic completely.

I presume you have already checked the date/time of the TVA,, your KSU against the correct time..

AS it was working before I must presume it is set for DPITS and PBX SYNCH

Can you replicate the issue trying with just one line at time?

good luck
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Caller ID and Panasonic PBX/VMS & ATT - 01/22/21 01:12 PM
I now have a CID box on both lines to double check.

My business line is connected to a POTS 5ESS and the home line and internet is through Sonic.net. The hardware VOIP and Internet is provided by ATT. At least I did get the newer ADSL2 modem with Sonic.net.

The 824 does not have the ability to use DPITS/DPT. It has a protocol which was originally referred to as APITS (APT for short). The TA824 does not have the ability to communicate time and date data with the TVA50 VMS.

The APT protocol does allow the TA824 to send commands to the TVA50 without the use of slow touch tone communications between the two units.

One other interesting features is the TA824's Call Screening, which in turn allows every proprietary extension phone to operate like an answering machine. You can listen as a message is being recorded via the proprietary extension's hands free loudspeaker, then intercept and speak with that person or allow it to take a message.

Replicating the problem is not easy. In the beginning it seemed to only happen when DST started or ended. After a few days it would be okay. But now it's unpredictable as to when it will happen.

The TVA50 is reset automatically based on it's internal clock/calendar. I check it at regular intervals as it tends to "slip" a few minutes over the course of 6 months or so.

I think the TA824 can be set to only change the date/time manually but that would require one more thing to remember! frown
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help