web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#627472 02/17/19 06:18 PM
Southernphoneman
Unregistered
Southernphoneman
Unregistered
I have a nortel 6X16,NT 5B01, and would like to know if as long as I use an analogue to digital converter, would I be able to still use the nortel 6x16 for VOIP? thank you

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Online Content
Perhaps you could provide more details because what your asking does not make sense.

The 6X16 is a Digital system

If you are talking about sets:
It does not use VoIP phones
There is no such thing as an Analog to Digital phone converter for Norstar systems
There is however an ATA -Analog Terminal Adapter (Digital to Analog Converter) but it has nothing to do with VoIP.
VoIP phones utilize the onsite Network infrastructure such as the Switch like all the other PC's and Printers

If you are talking about trunks:
There is no such thing as an Analog to Digital trunk converter for Norstar systems
It is possible that it might be using "SIP" Trunks via a VoIP Gateway which converts the SIP protocol to Analog, commonly used by Cable companies that provide telephone lines.

"would I be able to still use"
My first answer would be if it's working now then of course it will still work.
Did you mean "would or can" you be able to use the 6X16?

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Curlycord explained it very well for you - but your question is lacking for info.

IF you are meaning - as it is happening these days - that a company like Spectrum wants to bring in new phone service, they
will hand off the phone lines as analog and your Norstar will continue to work.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
Most local providers will give you an analog handoff. If you are going with a VOIP only service provider you would be responsible for doing the Sip to analog conversion. If you are doing the conversion yourself then you need to get a test trunk and a conversion box and make sure that everything is A-OK before doing a full port of the numbers.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Southernphoneman
Unregistered
Southernphoneman
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Curlycord
Perhaps you could provide more details because what your asking does not make sense.

The 6X16 is a Digital system

If you are talking about sets:
It does not use VoIP phones
There is no such thing as an Analog to Digital phone converter for Norstar systems
There is however an ATA -Analog Terminal Adapter (Digital to Analog Converter) but it has nothing to do with VoIP.
VoIP phones utilize the onsite Network infrastructure such as the Switch like all the other PC's and Printers

If you are talking about trunks:
There is no such thing as an Analog to Digital trunk converter for Norstar systems
It is possible that it might be using "SIP" Trunks via a VoIP Gateway which converts the SIP protocol to Analog, commonly used by Cable companies that provide telephone lines.

"would I be able to still use"
My first answer would be if it's working now then of course it will still work.
Did you mean "would or can" you be able to use the 6X16?

Yes i should rephrase myself, I would like to eventually switch over to voip and was told that my nortel 6x16 would work with it, could someone give me some idea of how I go about switching over to VOIP, and yes it would be on the trunk side, Line 1 Line 2 etc. which now the phone co provides. thankyou

First see if the provider you are looking at either provides or recommends an fxo or ata device.

Second see if they will provide you with a test trunk so you can see if there are any potential issues with with either your network or inter interoperability between your phone system and the fxo device.

Before all of that you need to be sure that your network connection is both fast enough and stable enough for voice traffic. If you have network hiccups either internal or external that will be devastating for voice traffic.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 121 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024