How very odd that I get a PhoneSuite trouble call from my far away customer today. It seems that all of a sudden calls to the operator or calls put on hold ring once and hang up. Guest couldn't dial 0, but could call room to room and the console worked fine except not on operator calls, they could call the guests.

For those of us in the business, it's called a ring-trip, and it usually happens when a phone or jack goes stupid. And, oh, they have a book :-)

Anyway, since room 110 is somewhere near the lobby (not a guestroom, it's the cordless phone next to the console. In programming, I can tell the owner to take out phones out of the co-ring group. I did, but it still didn't work :-(.

Not wanting to waste a full day running a service call, I called PhoneSuite. They made a suggestion and I called the customer back. Sure enough, the key was to strip ALL phones out of the co-ring group. Everything worked. Now put them back in one-at-a-time. Bingo! The phone in the laundry room was the monster. The owner forgot to mention it in the co-ring list :-).
45 minutes on the phone beat 8 fevered hours on the road.

I tell this story for 2 reasons. One, this is why we don't like the end users in our equipment, even if it is out of warranty and two. In talking to the PhoneSuite tech support, they are aware of this thread and customer. Aparently there's the dealer side of the story too.

Carl