Interesting note about the 1st IBM PC's. They would boot either IBM DOS OR......... CPM. That's right boys and girls, obsolete, underpowered CPM! CPM could only directly address 64K of memory so that was what IBM figured was a good starting point.IBM wasn't too sure if anyone was going to jump on the DOS bandwagon with all the, at that time, CPM software available, so they made it dual bootable. DOS 2.11 is the point where that stopped. CPM was actually a pretty 'robust' o/s and there was a lot of software for it. Some of the current word processors and spread sheets were ported over from CPM originally. They've been enhanced a LOT since then, needless to say. I didn't use it to speak of, but I understand that most programs were made to 'overlay' the o/s, because there were several different versions that were brand specific. So, you bought the software and the 'overlay' that was specific to your version of CPM. And, apparently the 'overlay' wasn't critical, it just enhanced the operation with your version. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.