My dear 91yo Grandmother has a large house with a 1A2 system installed in 1967 (says Installed 1967 by HERB on the chassis!!). Up until fairly recently the system has given great service. Really, how many things nowadays last 40 years??

Now the system is starting to really have issues, so she is finally ready to upgrade to something more current. She had someone come out and take a look at the cost to replace the system. They see her big house and the price magically becomes $8,000 and they want to rewire the entire place.

Although not a telephone guy by trade I have experience with data/tel cabling and have installed 3 Panasonics and 3 Avaya Partner systems to date. I have decided to take it upon myself to install another system for free. I have purchased a suitable used Avaya Partner R6 system to replace the 1A2.

I'm making a huge assumption that the existing 25-pair RJ21/amphenol cable will be absolutely fine for the new system (reused). I intend to put RJ21 to RJ11 (amphenol to modular) adapters on the station end of the cabling, terminated on the other side to a 66 block where it will be fed into the Avaya KSU.

Am I on the right track? If anyone has done one of these types of conversions reusing existing 1A2 wire, I'd love to hear about it.

If you want to see some pictures of this dinosaur, let me know.

I searched around the forums and couldn't find a good answer to my question, so please be kind if this is a redundant post.