Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
Sorry upstate, but I respectfully disagree. If my name is on it, it is going to be done properly. I would not suggest splitting wires out and deviating from standards. We know it may work, and in a pinch it is often done. If I am going to the trouble to run wires in a new installation, it is going to be done the right way, every time.
I would never do it in a new install ... that is a given. Nor would i do it for a run to a server or mission critical PC. The reality is it works fine in almost every instance... do you think Ed would have continued to do it if it didn't work??

But ... there are many instances where it makes a ton of sense..... as long as the customer is aware that they are deviating from standards and is ok with it...... if the customer is a "do it by the book" guy then i'll do whatever they want.

In my mind it is a wise decision to offer a small business owner in this economy a real world opportunity to save money without impacting performance.... i have seen many customers who understood the risk turn out to be happy and appreciate that an option was offered.

As a small business owner in this economy i know for a fact that i would appreciate the option being presented.... i might elect to go with the correct method... but i would always feel the guy was treating me fairly.