Wow I totally wasn't expecting this much discussion, but I'm pleasantly surprised that this is a hot topic and I'm definitely taking everyone's comments in!

I'm also pleased its been civil...I belong to many other forums where things go from 0 to "out of hand" very quickly ;-)

Anyhow, I guess where it came up is that one of the systems we're comparing to is a Mitel 3300, which has been proposed to us as an all-IP system. We asked the ESI dealer to propose an all IP system so we're comparing Apples-to-Apples (as much as we can knowing there's huge differences in systems).

I think I'm mainly coming from the fact that in this new place, since we're starting fresh, why not get the latest and greatest? Will it be a little more expensive? Maybe, but honestly comparing some of the proposals I'm not seeing a huge difference that I expected to see. I thought price alone was going to drive me back to a hybrid system.

I can definitely say I agree with everybody on the "why ip when digital works" front, and yes I've messed with Cain-n-Able and successfully recorded a (test) conversation. I still think though, that if you're spending big bucks on a new system, why get digital phones when IP may be prevalent like someone else mentioned in a few years? We are an insurance agency, and in the past whenever I bought mediocre equipment, even when I thought we'd never need more, we've outgrown it quickly.

Also - on the ESI 200 vs 600 front, our vendor thought the 600 was a better fit I think based on the total # of ports, not just the number of phones. IE - We already use 2 PRIs and the 200 would limit us to only one more I believe. His reasons made sense to me.

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

Mitel 3300Mxe running MCD 4.0, 5340 Phones