I think the topic should be BE AWARE OF VOIP. It does have it's limitations. I agree with his article that voice transport between sites is a great benefit. Installed 30+ systems last year with this scenario. Works fine. VoIP to the desktop I.E. VoIP sets have less than spectacular results. One customer had Comdial IPrimo sets at their main location for 2 years. Never had an issue. Opened a branch office and the problems started. After assisting us and helping in the implementation of QOS the sets would intermittently experience latency and jitter to the point of being almost cartoonish. Packet sniffers proved a breakdown in their routers occasionally. After 2 weeks of dicking around with it the customer just said pull the IP sets and give TDM digital sets. No more problems. Put in a new car dealership today. After going head to head against Cisco we were awarded the bid because of the some of the most bizarre things that Cisco rep said they couldn't do. The most basic was a call presented to an attendant. They wanted to see visually that a salesman wasn't at their desk and wanted to transfer to their cell phone as they were out on the lot. Used an MP5000 Comdial with Impact Attendant..gave them everything they wanted. After seeing that Cisco also required dual runs to separate voice and data endpoints the original cost savings (50% reduction in cabling) was gone. Factor in a 90 warranty for their gear, trouble with providing more than a few analog ports for faxes, modems, credit card machines, etc. and the VoIP solution looked less appealing even to the IT department. Limited feature set and basic TDM functionality like BLF buttons and all call page are a challenge for the new VoIP platforms.

[Linked Image]