Originally posted by PacketSmasher5000:
99% of the time hosted solutions are pure trash. I get three calls a week with the same story... some guy promised me the sun and the moon on hosted.. my t1 goes down every other day and my phone is reduced to the worlds most expensive paper weight.. hosted is great if you sell it.. it sucks if you buy it. You never own anything except the phones and eventually you will get pissed enough to give up and then you have to look for something that can run your polycom or cisco endpoints..... if you are a interconnect and you're even remotely considering hosted DON'T DO IT!.. the easy revenue from the carrier is sexy at first.. but you will get the pissed off end user call eventually and he's not going to blame the carrier.. he's got your neck to choke.... the ONLY time hosted really works for is those customers who are in a distributed system and only plan on using the phones in any given location for a temporary time (contract work).. great for commercial builders who move their offices every two years to a new job.. this technology can work great.. but you need a bulletproof T-1 and QoS to even begin to think about deploying something like this..
Hi PacketSmasher5000,

I am relatively new the hosted VoIP world and have a few questions about your statement/post. When you say "three calls per week...", who are the most common hosted providers you hear of? With the T-1 going down every other day, have they looked into a different solution for internet service?

One more question. smile

With the service going down so often, does their provider not forward calls to an alternate location when their internet is down?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.