Let's face it; "CAT5" is just a buzz word that electricians who don't have a clue; computer geeks who want everything "their way" and builders looking for ways to yank a few more dollars out of their customer's pocket are making money from.

CAT5 from the NID is a complete waste, NO OSP cable to the NID is capable of delivering this standard. OK, maybe FIOS (Verizon's excuse for competition with cable TV companies) might be a justifiable reason for CAT5, but come on. EVERY standard that's being offered by cable and telephone companies must be able to work using existing wiring systems.

As TelecomTex said, even "CAT ZERO" pulp cable still exists out there as building risers as well as OSP. We just got done extending 235 ISDN circuits from a DMARK to the ninth floor via this 60+ year-old lead-sheathed pulp cable without a hitch. It's all a sales game; telco services have to be able to survive the transport media they have available everywhere in their service territory. They would be fools to introduce technology that can only be offered in spotty areas based upon the type of feeder or distribution cable they are using. That varies by the block on any given street!

Again, CAT5 is just a word that adds up to dollar signs for people who don't have a clue. Sure, I'll sell it to them, but I at least try to be honest with them up front. They usually believe everyone BUT me, they guy who is taking their check. Fine by me!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX