First off, great looking forum! I hope to use and contribute to it more in the future.

I am a field service technician/branch installer for a company with branches all over the US. The local telco is dispatched to new branches with instructions to extend the demarc to within 10' of the branches phone equipment.

In many cases, the telco tech doesn't terminate the cable running from the branch location to the demarc. I have no problem in doing this but, more often than not, I have found that the phone room contains several 66 blocks with VERY FEW lines tagged.

We then have to notify the telco to have someone come out and tag the lines. In some cases, this isn't a big deal as the telco gets out there in a timely manner. In others, it's a problem as the telco won't be out in time and I need to get the branch completed in a certain time frame, which includes getting their phone system up and tested, which isn't going to happen with no phone lines going into it.

My question is this. Another tech from a different service location had the same problem a few days ago and was in the phone room when the telco tech arrived. He said the telco tech had used a phone number that generated a tone to the phone lines remotely so all the telco tech had to do is use his tone probe, verify the line with a ANAC number (which I already have) and tag it accordingly. For instance, the phone number I want to get a tone for is 555-555-5555. I call from my cell phone (444-444-4444) and somehow generate a tone for 555-555-5555. I have phone numbers for putting a tone on the line, but it only does it for the line you’re calling from, which wouldn’t do me any good in this instance.

Of course, my friend never asked the telco tech for number to call to generate this line tone. Does anyone know this number, or how I go about obtaining it? I can't tell you how useful this would be.

I'm located in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, if that makes any difference.

Thank you.