I apologize for the length of this post in advance, but we have a serious conundrum. We have a customer on trixbox Pro with a new installation including new telephone lines. There are 7 POTS lines to the system and 1 dedicated fax line. Since they have moved into the new location there have been a series of “phantom calls” to outside numbers leaving the CID for the company. Following is a log of the calls. Some of the new lines for this customer were reclaimed from other businesses including a marketing firm.

I’ve worked with Tech Support on this and the trixbox shows NO RECORD of these numbers ever being dialed in the CDR or in the TB logs. The telephone carrier investigated and says they have NO RECORD of these calls being initiated from the customer. The customer is understandably irate and pointing fingers at us.

Some ideas that have been discussed are CID spoofing or crossed lines, but has anyone come across this before? Any ideas on where to look and how to proceed? Thank you!

System went live 2/2/09:
1. Reported on 2/5/09. Time of the calls is unknown. They are receiving calls about twice a day at the time of reporting. Incoming Caller ID is “HRP 877-xxxx” which is line 5 in the hunt. Number dialed is 773-xxxx. (Numbers are removed to protect the innocent. smile )

2. Reported 2/5/09. No details for time of day, frequency or incoming Caller ID other than that the caller says that he is receiving the phone calls when HRP is closed. Recording is available if needed. Number dialed is 752-xxxx.

3. Reported 2/11/09. No details for time of day, frequency or incoming Caller ID. Caller sound quite elderly and getting further information from her was not possible. Number dialed is 272-xxxx.

4. Reported on 2/17/09. No details for time of day, frequency or incoming Caller ID. Number dialed is 883-xxxx. This is different in that instead of silence, the caller receives a message telling them to call the customer.

5. Reported on 2/18/09. According to the complainant, he is receiving multiple calls per day. He was able to confirm that he received the latest call at 5:12 PM. Number dialed is 883-xxxx. According to our cutomer:
Several minutes prior to this all phones in the office rang and when I picked up I heard the end of a robot call “… press 1 to leave a number” and then it hung up on me. This may have been the same event or just a coincidence.

6. Reported on 2/18/09. No details for time of day. Caller said the power company called them trying to call our cutomer to sell them natural gas.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix