Hello,

As a brief intro, I am a security technician working mainly with alarms, CCTV, EAS, POS, access control, and some locksmithing.

Some things I am fairly well versed and confident in, others not so much. I enjoy learning new things, though. This is actually one of my favorite things about working with tech and installation issues.

However, I feel like I am running into a big challenge when it comes to properly installing my RJ31X jack into various DEMARCs

I've tried to research the issue, but I am pretty frustrated. There are so many variables. Various types of NID on residential alone. Then there's 66 and 110 blocks, DSL issues Old color codes, newer CAT5.

I want to handle my telephone connections in such a way that a professional telephone technician or engineer would be able to come behind me in my work and think to themselves, "Wow! Finally! An alarm tech who knows what he is doing!"

BUT... I'm having a hard time reaching that point because I keep running into so many different variations on installations, yet so few resources to learn how to do things the best way possible. Some sources are somewhat helpful, yet others have given me some advice that wasn't so good.

Should I just keep working at it?

or...

Should I maybe tell customers to please have their phone company install a RJ31X at the location I designate and *then* give me a call?

I know a lot of us alarm guys catch a lot of flak from phone guys for doing poor installations. I don't want to be that guy.

Sorry for the long post... but thank you very much in advance for any help or advice.

Learning as fast as I can.