grey whales with the Tie 10S phone systems. it came equipped with a choice of 1,2 or 3 intercom paths, if you needed more CO lines, you could actually re-use all of the intercom paths and rewire the KSU for the additional lines required. system was extremely flexible and one of the first that I am aware of that did handsfree talkback. used a 50 pair cable and god forbid you removed the one lamp ground wire for the set. must be an east coast thing.

I thought the confidencer was the other way around, you placed one in the handset to cutout the background noise (ideal for motor shops)

anyone remember when 25 pair cable had a spare pair just for emergencies. what was the color? How about having to use a 4 x 8 5/8" piece of plywood just to mount all the 66 blocks that you needed for the 1A2 equipment and spending a week cutting down all those 25 pairs starting from the violet-slate pair up. (thats right, v/sl not purple grey, as my young techs refer to it.)

Sorry to say, but I thought the most valuable tool back them was a paper clip. found many uses for it.
ah, those were the days when a analog volt meter really meant something.
TJ