Originally posted by mphil:
I am now the proud owner of a Melcom KC-10X intercom unit but I cannot locate a practice or manual for it (other than what's printed on the case itself). A push in the right direction would be appreciated. For example, the intercom has an AMP connector on the side which I presume should be connected to a block. My best guess is to use a 66B type block; does that sound right? As for the power requirements:
Connect A BAT and A GRD to 24V filtered power supply.
Connect B BAT and B GRD to 24V nonfiltered power supply.
I recently purchased an old 551A KSU and will be hooking everything up over the next month or so for a home system:
[Linked Image from phase2.us]

Will the KSU supply the needed power for the external intercom unit? I'm new at this; please spoon feed slowly.

Thanks, all.

Mark
Mark -

So far you're on the money. There must have been practices for the units, but I don't have one, maybe someone else does, but they're really not that important. Plug in a cable, cut it down on a block, connect the appropriate power leads and then connect each station to Tip, RIng, Lamp, Lamp Ground and the appropriate signal leads.

A 66B block is perfect. That'll give you 5 connections for Tip, Ring & Lamp. If space is at a premium, you could also use a 66M block and then loop the T,R, L, & LG connections and multiple them on the other side of the block (that would actually give you 12 connections).

Yes, the KSU power supply has enough "oomph" to power the Intercom, and yes, A Battery is the Filtered and B Battery is unfiltered.

You could have the intercom signal with any voltage you like - 10V AC (blue wire buzzers), 18V AC (white wire buzzers), 110V AC (the ringers in the phone) or even 24VDC (Flat DC buzzers).

You're doing fine so far. Hang in there and ask away.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"