Actually, the C-A-P 700 was designed and built by Ford Industries, (Which eventually changed its name to C-A-P) and sold to Western Electric. They also sold to the independent Telcos, factory direct and thru North Supply. I do not remember the model number of the C-A-P with the Trimline, but other models they made before about 1970 were the 400, 505/506, & 540, that had acoustic couplers that mounted on 500/2500 phone and actually operated the hookswitch. Some of these would also work through a KS19522 Coupler and other coupling devices, all of which were strictly electronic. They actually began selling 'direct connect equipment' to the general public, "in selected areas" about 1970. That was about the time the battery operated 'Phone Mate', that supposedly could generate enough power to 'knock a Telco employee off a pole' hit the market (It ran on 6 'D' cells), and the whole subject of 'Customer Provided Equipment' and 'COUPLERS' (shudder) really took off. It was an interesting time, we sold NEW Code-A-Phone 700s for about what a customer could lease a well used one from the Telco for, same monthly payment. But, we knew how it worked and what all the options did. The poor telco guy got to install 1 a year, if he was unlucky enough, with a BSP that was misleading at best. But, we also sold units that wern't so 'industrial' and some of them let you get your messages from across town, if you had your CODE-KEY. Ah, well, water under the bridge. C-A-P is probably bankrupt and long gone by now. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.