We just started playing around with VOIP a couple of weeks ago. A couple of things have come to mind.

Who decided line appearances aren't important?
Who decided voice mail shouldn't call your cell phone when you get messages?
Who decided that nobody transfers messages internal to the voice mail system or will do broadcast messages?
Who decided that a huge stack of basic phone features like directed call picked, group call pickup, call cover ring, etc. wasn't important?
Who decided that the ability of installing a phone a couple of thousand feet away from control on 2 wires is a worse setup then a few hundred feet on 8 wires?
Who decided MOH and page ports aren't important?
Who decided just a few programmable buttons are satisfactory?

Not only that, in the last month of learning this stuff I've talked to 4 manufacturers. In all cases I've had calls talking to them that break up, have delays or some other problem. It would seem to me if the manufacturers of the equipment are having voice issues, and they are the guys that should have absolutely the best tech guys, then what real chance do we have of doing an installation that works flawlessly?

I see a few advantages to VOIP but it seems to me they are drastically overshadowed by a massive number of faults, at least for many small business customers.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong here.

--Bill.