So today was the big day. After 9 months of research, quotes, more quotes, meetings, then purchasing, fighting over pricing changes, re-cabling the locations etc. It has begun.

I will try and keep a log of the install and how things are going, I will also try and post items that bite me in the ass and just plain silly items that come up.

Here is a quick over view of our install:

Cisco UC560 connected to a PRI
Cisco SF300 48 port POE switch
Cisco 2960S 24 port POE switch
Cisco ASA 5510 firewall
72 IP phones - 1 7945G, 1 509G, 70 504g
4 ATA adapters
11 locations
Cisco 891W at each remote location
Cisco SF302 8 port switch for 2 locations.

As you can see we are a Cisco shop.

We started today with the UC itself and the main switch. UC and switch mounted in the rack.

First step was to update all the IOS's. Why on earth they do not ship new equipment with current IOS installed I do not know. That process ate up an hour while the UC did its upgrade, good time for lunch.

Once the upgrade was complete we started the UC initial config wizard.

We created the user spreadsheet, scanned all the phone MAC's and mapped them to users. Then created the xml file to import into the UC.

- Issue - you must add your licenses before you can add the users, this is sort of ass backward as the wizard allows you to add licenses later in the wizard!!??

Once that was completed we successfully imported the users.

- Issue - you cannot use "-" in users names, this causes issues with any users that have "-" in their lastnames. You can use and "_" but that is not acceptable to users, so we just eliminated the "-" and the space. Users also cannot have a space in their first name, so any worker with names such as Betty Sue, must be listed as bettysue, or some other workaround.

After we sorted those issues out, we came to the Blast/Hunt group page. The first thing that popped up is the fact that you are limited to 10 blast groups, which is not listed anywhere in the paperwork. Since we have the need of 12 total blast groups, I have an issue to sort out.

As we were configuring the blast groups we got to group #10 and the wizard promptly crashed. Which caused the loss of another 30-40 minutes as we had to recreate all the groups and assign users.

Once we stepped through that we completed the wizard with some basic settings for the AA stuff.

As a last item for the day we plugged in the switch, plugged in a phone to see if it would talk to the UC.

The phone updated itself, picked up the correct extension and allowed a network connection to pass through the phone to the world.

All in all a good day, couple glitches but nothing to major.

Tomorrow starts the heavy lifting with the updating/registering of all the phones and some testing at remote locations.

I will try and post up again tomorrow with any items/issues/successes.