Today I borrowed some cable testing equipment which was comprised of a lab scope and sweep test equipment and armed with the TIA 568-C.2 specifications, went to the site and tested every cable to NEXT and PSNEXT at 400 MHz (the limit of the test equipment) and all 105 cables passed the TIA 568 C.2 sweep test which currently only requires Cat 6 cable to pass 250 MHz sweep test. I was able to also do ACR, PSACR and insertion loss testing with all cables passing all tests according to the spec.

I looked at the Fluke DTX-1800 and, for $10K, I can purchase a lot of more versatile test equipment for that price.

So, using over $75K of lab equipment, I basically verified what my $2K JDSU told me on Thursday. Checking with my friends at IEEE, and sending my results to a former colleague of mine who sat on several of the 802 committees, He verified that the cable we pulled surpasses the 1 Gb requirement with plenty of room.

I still like the Fluke Optiview for other network tests beyond what a simple JDSU can do, but, what I always thought to be true was confirmed for me today. That BERT test that the JDSU runs is more than it looks like and is a pretty good indicator of cable integrity and quality.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet