You wrote: "An analog telephone line is nothing more than a 600-ohm balanced line, which is specifically what the paging amp is asking for." Sorry, but those two statements are wrong.

You also wrote: "My thought is that the amp should not let audio from the ATA come through unless there is an active call, in which case it should send the call audio (the page) through the speakers." Again, sorry, but you are confused, and you are wrong.

If you were correct, things would be working the way you want them to. They don't. Ergo, you are misinformed.

Hal was a bit impatient with you, but in his defense, I almost wrote the same thing. You clearly do not understand the fundamentals, and you are close to committing some wiring errors, or have already done so, that may permanently damage the equipment you are working with.

You need to learn from someone locally, who knows what a 600-ohm balanced input means. You need to learn how a POTS line is delivered, whether via copper or an ATA, and you need to learn a few basic telephone concepts, such as what happens electrically as a telephone call progresses.

You might first try learning the definitions of "ring trip" and "calling party control" then move on to line voltage, line current, and call progress tones. There are many books and websites devoted to basic telephony. I suggest a quick foray into that field before proceeding.

You might try contacting Bogen technical support. I'm sure they will be helpful to a "newb."

We have a few pet peeves here. One is seeing the word "newb." It's a red flag. It signifies that the self-proclaimed novice (ah...novice, such a nice English word, [from the Latin: novicius] so refined, so succinct, and so accurate) is from a certain sociological/technological stratum, and we old guys need to beware. History has borne us out.

Last edited by Arthur P. Bloom; 05/29/13 08:59 PM.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"