Hello John, sorry for the delayed response, I was trying to educate myself a little more before responding. I have setup many T1 connections for customers with my father (I am 17), and was wondering what other options companies have to handle larger number of circuits in a cost effective manner.

From my understanding there are two main approaches to this (i.e., ISDN/PRI Trunks vs. SS7 Trunks). As for PRI trunks the basics are known (23B channels, 1D timing channel, out of band signaling..).

Sorry for the detour however, my question is where does SS7 fit in the PRI world. From the research I have done, I am able to understand that SS7 provides only signaling that carry info such as CallID, and LNP. What I can't understand is where does the call passing signal come from in an SS7 interconnect?

As a starting point I also understand that a point code (a kind of address) is needed to identify the SSP in an SS7 network.

There is a lot of material on the net when trying to understand PRI trunks however, not so much for SS7. I know there are a lot of sector professionals in this forum (have read your posts).. Hope I am not insulting anyone with this question :S.

Kind Regards,

Mike.

Last edited by Phone Guy Mike; 06/27/13 09:00 AM.